Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lateral resistance in exterior wall 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jodster

Structural
Sep 26, 2002
CA
What is the best way to add lateral resistance to a 35 foot high exterior wall. The interior of the building is totally open so the walls are 35 feet high. I would like to install windows just below the roof trusses but do not wish to weaken the stucture. This building is 70 years old and was once an army drill hall. It is currently being used by gymnasts.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not an easy solution. If you add thickness to the wall, and you are not is high seismic zone, then you will add shear capacity. Problem in a high seismic zone, you will be increasing the out-of-plane load on the wall - weakening the structure. If your building was originally used as an army drill hall then it may have extra capacity. If the owner is willing to do/pay for a very detailed analyisis of the wall you may be able to get it to work with opennings. Becareful, the local jurisdiction may still have this building in its emergancy response plans (especially if they haven't been updated in 20 years or so). If that is the case you will likely not be able to say the building works in a weaker condition since its importance factor will still have to be very high.

Jodster,

Could the installation of the new windows not be done easily in conjunction with providing additional bracing of at the top the wall.

I do not recommend performing any work without the design of an engineer, but one idea might be to provide lateral bracing from the bottom of the windows to the roof diaphram. This would effectively "shorten" the wall. Keep in mind that you still have to transfer the gravity/uplift forces through to the wall.

Just one of many solutions.

CottageGuy

Is wall thickness a limitation? Is astetics an issue? Perhaps you can "sister" vertical structural elements alongside the existing wall framing, thus supplementing the existing system. Pay attention to detail! The way that the connections are detailed must be done with care, especially since you are dealing with existing materials.

I would like to add to Cottage Guy's suggestion: since the problem we have here is out-of-plane loading, the only way to efectively shorten the design height of the wall is to provide substantial bracing (i. e., "kickers") from the roof framing. This might not look too bad if attention is paid to the astetic appeal of such a system enhancement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back