Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Lateral stranded tie cables 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRAVIS PUCHERT

Electrical
Sep 19, 2019
FR
My neighbour has illegally installed 17x 3 strand lateral tie cables in my property, total length of each cable is 14m. The lateral cables are permanent and hold up a retaining wall 10m high x 20m long. An underground garage structure has been built against the retaining wall, but the tension on the cables have not been released/de tensioned.There are three rows of lateral anchors at various depths.Is my ground that these anchors are installed in still under tension/ pressure? In other words, are the 17 x lateral ground anchors still supporting the retaining wall and would the foundations of my house that are in close proximity to the lateral cables be in danger of sagging/ subsidence? The soil is clay and is layered and classified as slip and subsidence.
Many thanks
Travis

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Make sure the local geotech knows a lot about anchored walls. IMHO, too many do not. Ask the geotech what is his or her experience designing and/or building anchored walls. If the engineer can't, off the top of his or her head, describe the different levels of anchor corrosion protection or can't easily explain how anchors are tested and what the acceptance criteria are, you probably have the wrong geotech. If this matter goes to court, you want a real expert, not a dabbler.

I am not sure if there is an easy answer to my next question.

How long will it take for the ground in my property to stop settling and stabilizing, as I am finding new cracks(at this stage only 1-2mm) weekly in my floor tiles and walls. Basically my neighbours garage structure has now taken the place of the ground he removed, so I would assume there is an equilibrium between his structure and my ground in which the anchors have been inserted. I would also assume that his garage structure ( 22m x 10m x 7m high) would also be settling, thereby causing settling in my property as well, since they have all been linked by the underground anchors in my property.

You need a lawyer, even if the neighbor seems to be cooperating with you about repairs. Check how long you legally have before you have to file a lawsuit. Often, it is about 2 years (but starting from what date?). Hopefully, the movement will have stopped long before then. If not, it will help your lawsuit. Keep monitoring the damages and keep good records.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back