Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laterally braced beam

Status
Not open for further replies.

nashe

Structural
Apr 22, 2007
CA
I have to design a lintel 40 feet long. It will be supporting 12" solid cmu wall above so top flanges will be embed. Is it laterally supported or not. I think not.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It depends. Does the 12" CMU go up to a diaphragm, but there's no other diaphragm lower on the wall?

For example, if there's a lower diaphragm, the wall might be stiff enough out of plane to provide bracing.

I do not consider a steel lintel in a masonry wall braced. You could go about determining if the top flange is braced if it is embedded into a bond beam above and the bond course is attached to vertical reinforcing at the ends of the opening to transfer the load up and down to the floor/roof diaphragms. Being as this is 40' long I would not count on that, or be very careful about using that.

The bottom line is that it's assumed unbraced unless you can figure out a way to show that it's braced.

The 13th Ed. Spec. Appendix 6 provides ways to determine if a beam is braced against twist or compression flange lateral translation--prove one or the other or both.

Depending on the details of your situation, you might be able to show that it's braced. Of course it requires plenty of judgment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back