Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lateraly loaded piles in sands. As and Bs curves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zliazmei

Structural
Feb 5, 2002
AE
Hi everybody!

For aplying p-y method for piles in sands "Reese" developed 2 graphs for deremining values of As and Bs.

Now I am trying to develope my oun spreadsheet for this.

Can you give me advice with any tables or formulas regarding values in these charts.

I taked the graphs from "Tomlinson" 'PILE DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION PRACTISc' and tryed to axtract the values from there. But seems I am interpolating incorect results.(Graphs are not well scaled and of poor quality).

Does anybody knows how these graphs were developed? Any load test results? Any good web publication for this.

Thanks for your advice.

Zmei

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi, You can track the history of the As and Bs from a book published recently by Prof. Lymon C. Reese and William F. Van Impe " Single Piles and Pile Groups Under Lateral Loading, Balkema, Rotterdam, 2001, ISBN:9058093409 or from the US Department of Trans. Federal Highway Adm. FHWA-IP-84-11.

Thank you.

Enghow:

Welcome! Your post was very useful - I have not seen Lymon's new book. I'll have to track down a copy and buy it.

Zmei:

Get a copy of the original paper - it should be an OTC (Offshore Technology Conference) or ASCE publication. Those graphs should be more useful. You could also get a copy of the COM624 source code - and use the FORTRAN equations in the SAND criteria to define A[sub]s[/sub] and B[sub]s[/sub]. Be sure and replot the curves - compare them to the published ones.

Let us know how you solve your problem -

Can you provide the link to download the FORTRAN source code of COM624? I looked at the FHWA geotechnical engineeirng software site and it has the executable files only.

Thanks.

JYChen:

Hmmm, haven't looked for it on the web; I got my copy directly from Lymon Reese while in grad school. Don't feel that I can reasonably distribute it without permission.

Have you asked FHWA directly?

Zmei:

These statements came directly from my copy of the COM624 source code (had to edit out the card numbers in columns 73-80):

C
DIMENSION ASTAT(10),ACYCL(10),BSTAT(10),BCYCL(10)
C
DATA
1 ASTAT/2.83,2.48,2.11,1.76,1.48,1.23,1.06,0.90,0.88,0.88/,
2 ACYCL/0.75,0.93,1.07,1.11,1.03,0.98,0.94,0.90,0.88,0.88/,
3 BSTAT/2.14,1.83,1.54,1.27,1.05,0.86,0.71,0.53,0.50,0.50/,
4 BCYCL/0.53,0.72,0.83,0.86,0.82,0.77,0.70,0.55,0.55,0.55/
C

I hope this helps!

Unfortunately, Reese retired before I went to UT....I didn't have a chance to work with him....

Will ask FHWA if they release the source code or not....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back