Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Latest 'top-3' power transformer manufacturers 1

sparkview

Electrical
Nov 12, 2015
AW
Hi folks,

A powerplant intends to extend its firm capacity with two generators requiring a step-up transformer with the below specifications. What would be the latest 'top 3' recommended manufacturers to provide such a transformer, considering factors such as lead time (~6 months) and cost?
[ul]
[li]Type: 3-Phase, 60Hz Step-up Transformer[/li]
[li]Rated Capacity (ONAN/ONAF): 36/50 MVA[/li]
[li]Primary (H.V.) Winding: 62.75 kV[/li]
[li]Secondary (L.V.) Winding: 13.8 kV[/li]
[li]Polarity: YNd1[/li]
[li]Tap Changer: Non-Load Tap Changer (NLTC) with ±2x2.5% tap range at 62.75 kV[/li]
[li]Cooling Method: ONAN/ONAF[/li]
[/ul]

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Kind regards,

AV

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Many of my company’s generator step up transformers (US utility) came from Waukesha, which is now GE Prolec.

Other manufacturers that we have are Hico (out of Korea) and Delta Star.

Many transformer manufacturers are with lead times of about three years.
But this is not a huge transformer, so some of the smaller manufacturers can make them.
We have also used Delta/Wye for a mobile we purchased, but I know of others but no experience.

For the short lead time, check if a used transformer is an acceptable option. Some companies commercialize refurbish transformer but need to check for availability in the desire size.

Hitachi( Old ABB South Boston) is an option; they make a pretty solid unit. GE-Prolec as was previously said, but they'll be a long ways out. You could consider Jerry's Electric, T&R Electric, or Sunbelt Solomon if you are ok with a refurbished unit. There are other refurb shops out there too.

I've had good luck with HICO and Delta-Star too in the past. Virginia Transformer is a cheaper, usually faster, option but you get what you pay for there.

Back