Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lawn drainage problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

momof3

Civil/Environmental
Feb 13, 2005
US
My property lies on an old golf course in the midwest in a former coal mining area where most structures are built on a concrete slab. My "lakefront" property is downslope. Although my residence is on higher soil and not in danger from the waterway, there is a natural waterway in the middle of my backyard which carries water from at least a four to five foot slope (about 1/10 of a mile in distance). In addition, there is an additional low area near the waterway which holds water. A retainer wall has been constructed between the building and the lake but only extends on a portion of my property. The drop to the lakefront on my property would not permit an inground system with much slope since during heavy rain times the level of the lake water rises. What recommendations might I consider to resolve this problem? A french drain was suggested with the pipe at or very near ground level, covered with rock which would held prevent further erosion. I want a permanent system with minimal upkeep.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

An "in ground" system may not be completely unfeasible, assuming you mean a closed drainage system. A plastic drain basin from a bldg supply store along with corrugated plastic pipe would require minmal cover in non-traffic bearing situations. Even if the pipe is flat, head will push runoff through it (as good as a french drain). Or you may be able to regrade in a manner that would create an open system around your home. Creating a "dry stream bed" would give a nice landscaping effect while providing the function of diverting runoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back