Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Layers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinamo78

Mechanical
Sep 6, 2003
CA
I'm a new UG User. I imported a SolidWorks Assembly. My assembly has 3 possible configurations. Right now I have all 3 configurations showing at the same time. How can I show one configuration at a time? I'm assuming I have to use layers and then supress or blank the parts I don't want to see in that particular configuration. I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Dinamo78
Designer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depends on where you are going with the configurations.

If they are staying in the same assembly file, then I would use layers.

If they are going into another assemblym then use reference sets.

In practice, I would use both. Put each configuration on a separate layer with common components on other layer(s). Then define a reference set for each configuration. Also, use layer categories to turn on the layers for each configuration.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Like looslib says, just wanna add if you are staying in the same assembly file you can get your different configurations using categories.

But I prefer reference sets through an other assembly

O.K., I've set up my layers and named my refernece sets. I have 3 reference sets. Named upper, middle, and lower. I can manually show my different configurations by turning on/off certain layers. I'm having trouble setting up my configurations so I can see them by a click of a button. For some reason my help section in UG is not working.

Does anyone have the time and patience to explain how to do this step by step.

Thanks,

Dinamo
Designer

Format- Layer Categories
Enter your Layer name (upper)
press the create/edit button
add the layers that contain your upper assembly

repeat for other assemblies

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand