Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

layoffs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sneakers

Mechanical
Aug 4, 2005
US
If a company decides to implement layoffs for whatever reason, is there a standard criteria for who gets the boot? seniority? experience? salary? random? etc..

I've always pondered this and now I have some friends and family that may be affected.

Matthew Dunbar, CSWP
New Balance Athletic Shoe, Inc.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Anyone else notice how people do certain things while layoffs are looming?

The one that kind of gets my beef is all of a sudden people start bringing in their wives or their kids to work. I don't have kids so it rubs me the wrong way.

I usually notice a change in behaviors.
Managers are nicer and more talkative. Some employees start working harder or simply are not seen for a while (out of sight, out of mind).

Then groups start having short meetings with their management.

Chris
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 08 3.1
AutoCAD 08
ctopher's home (updated Aug 5, 2008)
ctopher's blog
SolidWorks Legion

I was recently laid-off, from a 4 year old company, I had been with the company for two (2) years. The company is now in survive mode. Due to the financial/credit crisis one of their customers pushed out an order until late 2009/2010 time frame, basicaly eliminating any chance to generate a positive cash flow for at least 9 months.

Vita sine litteris mors est.

I accepted a new job in late september. I had two months notice. One week before my first day at the new job the company said they have to let 100 people go. They also said they will invest in development, so I actually think, and have been hinted, I won´t have to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back