Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LCD Driver PCF8566 (NXP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEmbedded

Electrical
Nov 30, 2010
Hi there guys,
I've recently come across a PCF8655 LCD driver IC that I am trying to control my LCD with. It is not a cascaded application and the PCB-setup is a direct copy of Figure 4 on pg. 7 in the datasheet provided ( )

VDD: 3.3V
VLCD: 0V (also tried VLCD 3.3V).

In the datasheet I read that on reset are all backplanes set to VDD. Should I see them oscillate here? (Since it is multiplexed 1:4 with 1/3 bias). I've used a multimeter and there is no voltage difference between any backplanes or voltage difference between a backplane and a segment output. Does this indicate that there is some kind of error on the PCB?

I am trying to control the PCF8566 with an Atmel AVR32 uC (uses TWI, similar to I2C). I do get ACK back to my microcontroller and when I change device select bits I do not get ACK, this makes me convinced that the communication works fine. However, do I need to always transmit device select? Since my LCD is 1:4 multiplexed with 1/3 bias the normal mode (power on reset) settings should work fine. So I only need to transmit data to the RAM and I should see some voltage differences between backplanes and segments?

Is there any sample code I could take a look at? I does not neccessary have to be code written to an Atmel Device.

Many thanks!

Regards,
MrEmbedded

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

VLCD = 0V - is that floating or tied to ground (VSS)? You'll need a current path so floating doesn't work. Read through section 7.3.

"I do get ACK... I do not get ACK... convinced that the communication works fine" Huh??? - It looks like you'll need to read up on I2C buses too. You must always select a device to communicate with in in I2C.

I expect you are going to need an oscilloscope to continue debugging this; a multimeter won't give you the clues you need.

Welcome to electronics!

Z

Thanks for the welcome and the reply :)

VLCD is tied to VSS, from page 28 in the datasheet: VLCD = VDD-2,5 to VDD - 6,0 V. Since my VDD is 3.3 V, i thought that VLCD could be 0 (VDD-3,3V). Do you think that is a good choice?

I do transmit bitstreams with Device-ID all the time now :)

Best regards,
MrEmbedded

VLCD=0V seems reasonable from the datasheet; you would go to higher voltages to dim the display. Section 7.2 shows that you can let the PCF8566 define VLCD also.

Check Figure 22 and Figure 23; do you have enough bias current with these series resistances?

Are you sure your commands are getting through? After a quick look through the datasheet I can't tell if they want the MSB sent first or the LSB; that could be an issue.

Setting VLCD with the PCB8566 might be a simple test to make sure your commands are getting through.

Z

In Section 7.2 isn't like this that they mean that you can mix with the contrast: <-- picture of a schedule with adjustable contrast.

The currents can be a problem, but later on. I actually haven't even attached my LCD to the PCB yet. I am just looking at the output pins with an oscilloscope. The output pins are stuck. I think that is the weirdest thing. As I mentioned before: According to the datasheet Power On Reset should put the driver in Multiplexed 1:4 with 1/3 bias. I thought this meant that regardless of initialization adjustments, I should be able to see some kind of oscillations between the backplanes?

I am more towards that it is some type of Electrical problem that I am having, i.e. wrong VLCD. All my outputs for segments and backplanes are stuck at VDD (without any oscillations).

Thanks once again for taking time zappedagain !

Regards,
MrEmbedded

you can add a pot to set the contrast externally. You don't need to though as the part can set the contrast internally; you'll get much better adjustment range with the pot.

I don't have the datasheet in front of me anymore but I thought the part didn't do anything until you enabled it, even if it has default values.

Try adding a load (10K resistor) between a backplane and a segment output to see what happens with some current flow. I agree, the segment outputs at VDD still don't make much sense.

Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back