Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LCD help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tapley

Mechanical
Feb 18, 2004
US
I am not a electrical engineer, but my project is in desperate need of an LCD. I know you are thinking 100's of companies supply this technology, but our application is a custom design for a military application. If you are not familiar with ITAR (Internal Traffic in Arms Regulations) you might not understand.

In short we need someone to supply a LCD completely manufactured, components, assembly, etc. in the United States. The size is in the 10mm X 10mm range. I am looking for any leads to a supplier with this capability. Sorry this is not a technical thread, but desperation is setting in with an aggresive project schedule. I appreciate any and all help in finding leads to suppliers.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Finding vendors for components is an entirely reasonable post.

One US vendor I used for a full custom LCD some time back is They do commercial and military custom LCDs.

10x10mm? That's tiny... what resolution? Color or monochrome? Backlit, reflective, transmissive? Extremely low-power or fast updates necessary?

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

TYPE: TN POSITIVE TRANSREFLECTIVE LED BACKLIT
COLOR: AMBER

Fast updates is desired.

We need custom glass and alphanumeric segments.

Disclaimer - I'm not an expert, but I've been involved with ITAR.

ITAR is normally more concerned about things, or info, being exported from (leaving) the USA. If the imported display is just alphanumeric, then ITAR wouldn't normally be an impediment. On the other hand, if the display needs to have an indicator such as 'Antimatter Beam On', or 'Aurora Mach 12 Limit', then ITAR would apply because your display specification would have to be too revealing.

If you can specify your display requirements without revealing any secrets, then you should be able to buy it in from anywhere. It's just another component or subassembly. You've already posted several key characteristics on the Internet which could constitute export of data, so you can probably see my point.

This is based on my experience, but I recommend that you check again with your in-house experts if your display spec can be kept general.

ITAR is only concerned about transmitting program critical information out of the US. If your requirements fit an off-the-shelf component, then no program information needs to be transmitted.

Nonetheless, have you contacted Kopin? They're pretty much the supplier of choice for small military displays:

TTFN

FAQ731-376

I'm still trying to figure out what useful info could be displayed on a 1cm squared display that a couple of SMD LEDs couldn't handle... it would be COTS and one hell of a lot cheaper than a custom LCD.

Dan - Owner

Small LCDs are used for helmet and head mounted displays, weapon sights, etc. Not unlike the viewfinder display on camcorders or cameras that don't have a direct view viewfinder.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Oh, high resolution stuff... it wasn't mentioned, and the alphanumerics led me to believe it was a very simplistic display. That being the case, I just looked through my personal database and also came up with Kopin.

Dan - Owner

I wanted to get back to everyone and let them know that LXD Inc and Polytronix Inc claim to both have capabilities to manufacture complete LCD modules in the United States. I know for certain LXD still processes glass in their Cleveland facility and this won't be going anytime soon due to customers with specialty needs. Of course, the price is about 15x greater than the chinese compeititors, but for ITAR restricted end-users there is not much choice in the matter.

Thanks to all for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back