Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Leachate Lift Station Relocation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian_PE

Civil/Environmental
Sep 6, 2016
US
Hi

I'm working on a project that will require the relocation of a leachate lift station for a landfil expansion. The leachate collection line for this lift station relocation cannot be accessed from the top. I'm lookiinf for information on a plugging procedure (ie hot tap) that would allow me to place a plug, complete the required downstream work, and reconnect a new section of dual-containment HDPE pipeline.

I understand the line can be tapped and plugged, but usually the plugging process, hen completed will leave a saddle tap in place that cannot be removed. Have anyone completed this sort of operation? The position on the existing lift station will eventually be under 80FT of fill, so leaving a manhole or other witness pipe is not possible.

Thanks for any info.

BB

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Consider posting some of the details pertaining to pipe size, depth, and material of construction.

Not familiar with anyone doing hot taps of dual containment piping.

Here are the details, but the basic process is a stopping flow in an active leachate line. Pipe size is 8x12 DC pipe, gravity flow from the cell into an existing PS. Basically, there is existing waste adjacent to an existing PS. The PS will need to be moved, and the primary and containment collection lines need to be extended. We have no way to access the up gradient side of the line within the cell. The work must be completed in the middle of the line.

Also, there is no way to keep the manhole, such as using it for an inspection report, as the current location (once the expansion is completed) will be 30FT under an MSE berm.

Thanks

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back