Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Lead levels in electric motors? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCAU

Electrical
Sep 15, 2007
AU
Haha try not to laugh serious question here.

Does anyone know if the carbon dust given off by the brush wear in small electric motors (eg a slot car motor or PC fan) contains enough lead to be harmful to your health?

Or am I totally ignorant of small electric motors?

Once again no laughing ;)

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know but I would guess that writing with a conventional lead/graphite pencil may be more hazardous. Sharpening or over sharpening the pencil would be even more hazardous.
respectfully

To my knowledge brushes contain no lead. I believe they are mostly carbon. Maybe that is why they are called carbon brushes??

OK to get serious call a brush manufacturer or buy some brushes from Grainger and request a MSDS.

Dan Bentler

Lead (as in pencils) is a misnomer. There is no lead in that lead. Just graphite (C) and some clay and glue. So that is not a hasard.

Carbon brushes, on the other hand, contain lots of other stuff than carbon. Some copper, and quite a few other ingredients like lead (Pb). But I doubt that there is any lead (Pb) in brushes for small power-tools or slot cars. And since there are no brushes in a modern fan for a PC, there is also no lead.

Lead is a standard ingredient in many electric brushes. It has a lubricating effect and since it is less noble than copper, it reduces corrosion of the collector in humid environments. Example: starter motors for cars and trucks.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
100 % recycled posting: Electrons, ideas, finger-tips have been used over and over again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back