Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lead Wear With Partial Nut Engagement

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfukuba

Mechanical
Feb 6, 2009
US
I'm currently developing an affordable linear slide for an outdoor application, and have been inspired by garage door openers. There is a model which uses a lead screw to drive the carriage up and down the track. What is more interesting is that the nut engaging with the lead screw does not completely surround the screw.

What they use is a plate that engages ~%20 of the diameter. The "nut" has the matching thread profile, but does not completely surround the diameter

Google Image Search:

For this project we would love to use this method for engagement, but we need to provide a 10 year warranty, and want to ensure that it can last for as long as 25.

My first question is;
- if anyone knows of other applications of this type of engagement, that would give us more confidence in the design.
- How this might effect wear over time, compared to a traditional lead nut
-and What testing standards we would want to achieve for this method of motion.

I'm unfamiliar with how to predict wear, and what testing should be done on our design to verify our design intent.

Any advice would be very valuable to me on this subject.

Thanks!
--Danny

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Please Red Flag all but one of your duplicate messages and ask that they be removed.
One discussion per topic is sufficient.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back