Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Leading edge erosion 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabs

Nov 12, 2002
GB
Does anyone know of any anti erosion products that could be applied to the leading edge of main and tail rotors blades.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

there is a product called ceram-kote that has been used on the leading edges of blades in some military applications. i've used it on some internal applications and it seems to work pretty well.

3M manufacture a range of polyurethane protective tapes, however these are mainly intended for wing leading edges and radomes so may not last on rotor blades. Could be a budget option though?

Prop-Guard is a distributor of a product that attaches to the leading edge of aircraft propellers. It is made from a polyurethane protective laminate which works well if not intended for seaplane for helicopter use.

Hey, don't use those fixed wing products! Prop and fixed wing leading edge erosion tapes disbond in helicopter applications. Very different environments, and you'll get into a whole bunch of troubles: disbonding, vib, balancing problems, etc...

We just use nickel steel erosion strips on the LE, works fine. Very rarely replace them. If you're fitting them to a blade that doesn't have them, there may be an existing STC you can use for that blade - worth a look.

Hello:

I worked in desert environment with some hueys and Eurocopter SA315, check out for 3M products for erosion strap. It will work (no vibration or strap lost)

The U.S. Army has sponsored many research contracts on the erosion protection of helicopter rotor blades since the end of Desert Storm war. Most of the research has been conducted by Hontek Corporation of South Windsor, CT. The company has also done work for the U.S. Navy, and the Air Force. They have developed a series of extremely erosion resistant molding resins and sprayable coatings. You can write to shek2hontek@aol.com for further info.

I'm using a leading edge tape from A/C Spruce on a composite rotor spining at 500rpm with a 25' diameter. The tape is a 3M tape that states that it is not for propellors or helicopter rotors. I have 100 hrs on it in the desert environment and so far so good. I tried SS tape but it didn't hold up in the rain or provide any longevity. It seem to start oozing down the blade with centrifugal force and cause wrinkles in the tape.

nabs,
I pass this on for what it is worth.
It cam up on another board for MG sports cars where the question of fitting a fibreglass hardtop was being discussed.

"Rich
You might try using some clear chafe tape, 3M makes some p/n 8671. Its kind of expensive, you might go to an airport to get some. Its used on helicopters and is called blade tape. Maybe they will sell you just a lenght that you need.
Philip "

Regards, Pete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back