Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Leakage Location of Deisel Oil Running in an Underground Steel Pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2022
BS
A client of mine transports 2 diesel oil underground (yikes!) from their bunkering facility to a peak shaving power plant located in the town. The line is 14 miles long and is a 6" ANSI 150 # carbon steel pipe. It was installed some years ago and was grandfathered in. They know the line leaks but cannot tell where. Excavating the entire length is not feasible. It is buried about 2 meters down on average.

Is there non-invasive (scanning) technology that can detect leak sites? I found someone who can do so if the line is pressured with a 5% hydrogen/95% nitrogen mix and surface scan for hydrogen.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Suggest that you investigate helium and hydrogen leak testing of underground piping ... both have been used in the past

These new methods are ultra sensitive and may work for you

How old is this ancient carbon steel pipeline ? .... 14 miles is very, very long ....

Time to consider and study alternatives ? (New remote storage tank with truck or rail delivery ? ?)

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Thanks for replying. I had found a supplier who recommended 5% Hydrogen/ Nitrogen mix. I also believe they need to move away from underground pipe and consider relocating the power plant (they have the space at the second generating Site) as part of their IRP.

Glad to hear this solution is used before as I had no experience with it.

KLS

KLS Engineering 242 said:
Is there non-invasive (scanning) technology that can detect leak sites?
Hydraulic surge method might be used for pipelines totally filled with liquid. Dedicated pig train is an option also.

I once hgeard about an aucustic system that based on the noise made by the leak could determine the position (Dobble effect?)

--- Best regards, Morten Andersen

I once hgeard about an aucustic system that based on the noise made by the leak could determine the position (Double effect?)

--- Best regards, Morten Andersen

Thanks all. Unfortunately PIG's not an option (relatively small bore (6" Schdule 10), with no launchers in place).

We are trying an accoustic option from the local water supply company and are keeping our fingers crossed.

Regards

Kevin

The acoustic equipment is used by the water departments of municipalities to detect the gurgling sounds of leaking water in underground water pipes. I am not convinced that such equipment would detect the locations of #2 fuel oil leaks in underground pipes. As an initial measure, I would walk over the underground pipe to note for soft spots, discoloration and smell from the walking surfaces. Otherwise talk to your fuel oil distributor for types of equipment. In my unprofessional way, I would try a combustible gas detector over the length of the underground pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back