Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Lean Accounting? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suzzz

Industrial
Jul 1, 2005
US
I thought I knew everything :) but discovered I don't. A friend tried to convince me to attend a conference about "lean accounting" with her. What's up with that? Why would I, as a consultant, need to know anything about what the accounting geeks (and I say that lovingly) do?
If you're going, let me know why I should consider it. I want to stay relevant, but don't want to waste my money either.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is something of a gimmick, but has some basis in necessity. The standard accounting rules were set up a few hundred years ago, and don't always lead to the same answer as lean rules. It's always a good idea to know how to talk to the accounting geeks in their language so you can convince them to hire you as a consulting geek :)

As a professor once said, "Accountants would rather be exactly wrong than approximately right."

I cant speak for the siminar/training BUT moving traditional cost accounting from looking at only time standards to looking at real costs is one of the more difficult tasks in selling Lean Enterprise.

I attended this Lean Accounting Summit and was also a presenter. The conference was great. It was over-subscribed and the feedback from people attending was outstanding. The next one is in Orlando in September 2006. I would recommend it.

BMaskel, You have done nothing but confirmed the replies stated above. "the conference was great", I am heavily into Lean, not a consultant, but a trained Black Belt working in industry. People need facts, details, examples, solutions. Nobody makes "Widgets" or assembles "Lego" blocks. If Lean is not applied correctly it WILL destroy a company. Too many people reading general books about Toyota and applying the techniques to the job shops in the country. Give us some meat and potatoes. WHY? should she attend........

Capntom: You asked "why should she attend". I will try a short but direct answer. Traditional cost and management accounting is an enemy of lean manufacturing and lean thinking in general. Traditional cost & measurement methods were developed to support mid-20th century mass production and they undermine a company's lean transformation efforts. Attending the Lean Accounting conference would give you real, practical solutions to these problems. September's conference (and next year's) approaches the issue from three perspectives; academic, practical, and presentations from accountants who have implemented Lean Accounting methods in their companies. If you are working in an organization attempting to implement lean thinking, you will find a lot to interest you and to apply in your own organization.

If it doesn't apply to your core skills, don't waste your money, don't subject yourself to diversion. Your friend is looking for companionship. How many corporate sponsored courses have I attended that I say, man is this a waste of resources.

You want insight, ask your friend for an overview when she returns.

As a general pessimist about ANY form of cost accounting, Lean, ABC, etc.....

Until I can see an accounting method that actually represents a manufacturing system I say thee nay. Stay home...send your cfo and don't sweat it.

Now, lets talk T.O.C. vs cost accounting. If you call That lean accounting I may stay long enough to hear the lecture. But I refuse to restrain myself from laughing out loud!

Composites and Airplanes - what was I thinking?

There are gremlins in the autoclave!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back