Lean Identity Crisis 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

airfidget

Industrial
Oct 4, 2012
US
Hello all,

New user here. I need some help. I had Lean Mfg. in college, it was a great experience. I'm at a company that has had some hardships here recently taking time studies to reinforce work they have altered in several large Kaizen events. The problem is that some of the plant is noticeably lean, while others are noticeably not. A technician who is working with me gathering data is throwing suggestions at me and as I have not actually worked in a lean environment til now I am having a hard time convincing him that a continued effort towards lean is the way to go. He want's large batch sizes for ease of use and less prep work between stations, and all these other things that I can't rightly argue with right now...

My question is what is a good way to get another reminder course in Lean principles. I'm going to start reading the machine that changed the world again tonight. But I want more. What do I do? Help please.

airfidget - IE

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A simple start is reduce setup time. Group the fixture, mounting hardware and tools before the change over and reduce the setup time. These activities need to occur for every setup and will repeat through out the year.

In process changes such as having parts presented closer to the work station. If multiple parts are involved kit the parts and present them in the correct sequence and orientation for loading possibly in a cart/kit able to be moved to the fixture.

Remove variability in the sequences performed by the operator. Do the process the same sequence every time.

These are just a few examples of approaches my company uses. The primary operations we perform are welding, painting and assembly. Kitting the parts is the primary change allowing our greatest savings.

Bill

Thank you Bill.

I remember the tools I was taught in school but I'm looking for more a refresher course on the ideaology behind lean. My main problem is that our technician has all these questions and hasn't been lean oriented. I used to be able to preach it as well as practice it, but I haven't been in school for a while, and I forget some of the rational behind reducing the batch sizes and inventory sizes, running one piece flow instead of batches, removing that variability in the work instructions. I need some refresher course in Lean.

As I said I'm re-reading the machine that changed the world again to possibly get some refreshment of inspeirational philosophy, but I feel I'm not equipped to handle this student's real world questions.

-airfidget

My suggestion is to read a book. Or you can get these audio CD's that play in your car everyday on the way to work. I always like them. I felt like I was being lean learning lean.

I can tell you this, the basic principle of lean is very simple:

"Don't waste time doing something that isn't needed."

The first question you should ask yourself, and this is where you will always have disagreement with people undereducated in lean, WHEN IS IT NEEDED?

Should I make a batch of 30 because they will be need next week?
Well I only need 1 in the next hr. So should I make 1 because it is needed in 1 hr? and make the other 29 some other time?

This is an extreme example. But you get the concept. However, you don't start with order quantities, that is generally a rookie mistake. The first thing you need to do is find ways to make the part cost of 1 = the part cost of 30. That is Lean. After that you reduce the quantities per each order.

Feel free to contact us if you have specific questions.

StrykerTECH Engineering Staff

Bill has some perfect ideas! I might add the thought of point of use tooling and processes, changing the batch of in-coming parts to FIFO ques, and consider the scrap created if there is an engineering change, or a defect shows up. Batching is bad for quality! Part of the problem might be wrong sized machines - bad for quick changeovers (SMED).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back