Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Learing different PLC Hardware 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electromechanical30

Industrial
Sep 15, 2004
US
Hello,

I am fairly new to the PLC game. My primary background is in mechanical maintenance, but with technology comes computer controls. I went back to school to get the competitive edge. There I learned the basics for the AB SLC family. I have been working with the AB products for a while now, and I feel that I know the AB products fairly well. Locally I see the SLC and Micrologic controllers used. I know there lot of different PLC's manufactures out there. How does an individual become proficient with other models?

Just looking for some helpful info! [smarty]
PS - Thanks to all! You make forums like these a great tool!

Thanks!

i started like you on the AB stuff..but back then we were using top of the line SLC100's !!! Fancy stuff!! I then lost touch of the PLC world for a while. About 6 years later i went for a showing of a plant. (I am a contractor and we were trying to get in the door..). I talked to them about my PLC experiance in broad terms and we hit it off..He then took me for a walk of the plant.. He opened a door for a PLC cabinet and i was floored..Remember i was used to 10 or 12 I/O from a slc100 this cabinet (1 of about 6 in the plant at the time) had about 300 input and 200 output and around 50 analog I/O.. AND it was modicon...I juts looked quickly and said oh yea no problem... Well once i got into it i found there isnt that much diffenece between the two..At the time AB used almost the same programming language (It has changed quite a bit since then) even now i can jump back and forth between the two with only a slight hesitation. I am no where near the level of the others on this site hell i am just a sparky.

A lot of people here will tell you they are all the same..They are to a point..but from a rookie's point of view (And i still consider myself that even after 10 or 15 years)the diffenece between them is a big enough challenge..

Just one mans Point of view.. Good luck and welcome the world of 3.00am phone calls!!!!

Hello Sirs!

you gentelmen are like teachers to me. just stumbled on this board when i was looking for some artilces for my very First PLC class. I am an undergradute in electrical engineering. and expect to graduate by fall 05.

Don’t worry … You’re not alone! There are many professionals in this industry that began the same way.

I would recommend browsing the Web sites. Many of the top PLC companies have a Demo package of the programming software that you can download for free. Also look for documentation. I know AutomationDirect has software and all hardware manuals on the Web site so you can download them.

Many of the programming environments are similar (although some easier to navigate than others). One key is to “Read the Book”. If you plan on using a PLC you are unfamiliar with, start by reading the manual and familiarize yourself with the data types, numbering systems and identifiers. That will take you a long way.

Like ‘mcgowan’ said, to a point they are the same … It is Ladder Logic. You program one rung at a time with inputs (conditions), blocks (functions) & outputs (actions). Everyone has a little different way of making it look and in some the reaction is slightly different.

If you are like me, once you get into it you will start to see the correlation and begin comparing it to what you know …
ADC - AB
X - I
Y - O
V - N
C - B
STR - XIC
OUT - OUT
PD - ONS
LD/OUT-MOV

But nothing beats getting your hands on it and doing it for yourself.

Enjoy! (-:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back