Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

learing to program a fanuc robot 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobM3

Mechanical
Mar 27, 2005
US
I just bought a used Faunuc S-10RS robot. There's no documentation that came with it. I contacted Fanuc to try to get a programming manual for it but haven't heard back yet. Any suggestions on how to learn to program this thing? Books? Manuals for other robots? I don't have any robot experience but I have programed machine tool controllers (which I'm guessing is similar).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm running version 2.22P Rev A. I got ahold of a Karel manual and have been able to figure out most of what I need at this point. My problem now is that I want to use an editor on the PC to create the .kl programs and then download them to the controller. I can't figure out the format specifiers for the OPEN, READ and WRITE commands to be able to send and receive files throught the RS232 port. I can get stuff out the port but its just a few bytes and doesn't seem to be from the file I'm trying to send. Do you have any experience doing this? The Fanuc guy in technical service at first said I needed OLPC and then he said I needed KFloppy. He's making it sound like you can't send a file throught the RS232 but the manual seems to say you can.

I have been working on this as well. Here is some source code for sending strings through the serial port, although I wrote this for an RJ2, V5.22. I think it should work though...

PROGRAM ggg
%COMMENT = 'Serial Test 6'
VAR
file_var :FILE
text :STRING[8]
a_num :INTEGER

BEGIN -- serial test 6

-- Force User Screen
FORCE_SPMENU(tp_panel, SPI_TPUSER, 1)

-- Clear User Screen
WRITE TPDISPLAY(cr,cr,cr,cr,cr,cr,cr,cr,cr,cr,cr,'Opening Serial Port',cr)

-- Open serial port on User Operator Pannel
-- |------------- set to READ and WRITE
-- V V----- set to serial port on User Operator Panel
OPEN FILE file_var('RW','P2:')

-- Status messages
text = 'test'
a_num = 930
-- Write text to serial port
WRITE file_var ('test',cr)

-- Close serial port on User Operator Pannel
CLOSE FILE file_var

-- Write message on User Screen
WRITE TPDISPLAY('TASK COMPLETED :)',cr)

END ggg

~~~ FnA Robot Guy
(Fanuc and Abb robot Guru)

As far as I understood, BobM3 wants to download karel programs from his PC. He does need FKloppy. He also needs the OLPC compiler.

Then, when he will be able to download programs, he will try your download your RS232 communication program FnArObOtGuY !

Kfloppy does what I wanted. I just wanted to use a modern editor to create the programs and then download them. I'm o.k. for now just using the robot to compile the programs.

Actually it's not free. You have to be approved to get access. Approval means you have to pay them big bucks to "transfer" ownership of the software to your name.

I get a same problem at same robot. Any chance I can download or receive some software to make a communication with PC RS232 port to Fanuc RH(2.22 rev A) to make sure it is good.

Hello,

I have a used RJ controller that I purchased. I have a copy of the KFloppy software as well as an image of the SpotTool software for the controller. I am trying to load the SpotTool software using the BMON prompts and I cannot get the load process started. Do you have the steps to get the RJ controller connected to the laptop to load the image of the program?

Thanks,

FnArObOtGuY (Computer) 19 Dec 06 8:02
I have an offline compiler for version 2.23, but i dont know how to get it to you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back