Learning from Disasters

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomMelville

Chemical
Jun 18, 1999
GB
Hello,<br>
I'm looking for links to sites that contain details (and ideally pictures) of industrial accidents and some analysis of root causes.<br>
Can anyone help ?<br>

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

&lt;<br>
&lt;This is likely a good starting point (send an email?)<br>
<br>
&lt; Cause&gt;<br>
<br>
Unfortunately, none of these feature photos.<br>
<br>
See also: <br>
To Engineer Is Human: The Role of Failure in Successful Design. New York: St. Martin's Press,<br>
1985. London: Macmillan, 1986. Tokyo: Kajima Institute Press, 1988 (Japanese translation). New York:<br>
Vintage Books, 1992 (paperback edition, with a new afterword).<br>
<br>
<br>
Paul<br>
PipingDesign.com<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

Tom:<br>
<br>
This book is an excellent source for what you seek:<br>
<br>
Trevor Keltz, "What Went Wrong? - Case Histories of Process Plant Disasters", 4th edition, Gulf Publishing Co., Houston, Texas and Plymouth, UK, 1998. <br>
<br>
Milton Beychok<br>
Newport Beach, California, USA<br>
mbeychok@home.com<br>
(Visit me at

Hi Tom,

I have a free website ( that provides over 50 links to accidents, specifically chemical accidents, some with pictures such as the TX City Disaster and such. There is also a page on my site titled &quot;Accident Page&quot; that tracks all types of recent industrial/construction workplace accidents. If you can't find what you are looking for, contact me at Bhaywood@fuse.net,and I will get it for you.

Happy surfing,
Bryan Haywood

Tom,

I saw where you had visited the site, but I may have mis-directed you. The page you wanted to visit was the &quot;Chemical Accident&quot; page and not the &quot;accident page&quot;. Sorry if this caused you any inconvienence.

Bryan

Tom,

Milton Beychok, above has directed you to the seminal text.

&quot;What Went Wrong? - Case Histories of Process Plant Disasters&quot; by Trevor Kletz has been used in many safety training sessions for many years.

Kletz has also published two (I think) other &quot;case study&quot; type of books that are invaluable. One of which has a title something like &quot;How Disasters are repeated and why Corporations have no Memory&quot; Try to get it.

A Roy Sanders published a similar &quot;case studies&quot; book published by Butterworth-Heinman The book deals with mostly tank type disasters and maintenance mistakes. Sanders worked for many years at PPG in thier Lake Charles complex

Hope that this helps !!!!....

MJC

Hi Tom,

Her's some URLs that have photos of the damage caused by the explosion in September at a fertiliser plant in Toulouse, France.

No analysis, bu the &quot;blame game&quot; started right away - &quot;workers made a mistake&quot;.

Cheers,
John,
Melbourne, OZ

i am training manager in thai acrylic fibre co. in thailand
i am chemical engineer with experience in process plant more than 20 yrs.
i am very much interestd in process plant safety.
i have read the book written by Trevor A. Kletz named &quot;what went wrong?&quot;
i am very much impressed and learned many things from this book.
my congratulations and sincer thanks to mr.Trevor for writting such an excellent book on safety.
it is a great book which can help to prevent many disastrous
in process plants
i am interested to meet mr.Trevor
and take his advice for safety training in uk or usa
thai acrylic fibre co. is located in thailand and it is one of the co. of Aditiya Birla Group in Thailand.
there are total 10 companies in thailand.
i am interested to invite mr.Trevor to give a lecture on safety to our managers.
is it possible?
what will be the expences?
i've also worked in polymerization plant of ICI technology
for more than 20 yrs.
kindly reply at this add:-
e-mail:- pcdul1980@hotmail.com

at present i am on vacation in india with my family.
i am indian national.
thank you,
best regards,
s.b.chauhan
baroda
india

i am training manager in thai acrylic fibre co. in thailand
i am chemical engineer with experience in process plant more than 20 yrs.
i am very much interestd in process plant safety.
i have read the book written by Trevor A. Kletz named &quot;what went wrong?&quot;
i am very much impressed and learned many things from this book.
my congratulations and sincer thanks to mr.Trevor for writting such an excellent book on safety.
it is a great book which can help to prevent many disastrous
in process plants
i am interested to meet mr.Trevor
and take his advice for safety training in uk or usa
thai acrylic fibre co. is located in thailand and it is one of the co. of Aditiya Birla Group in Thailand.
there are total 10 companies in thailand.
i am interested to invite mr.Trevor to give a lecture on safety to our managers in thailand.
is it possible?
what will be the expences?
i've also worked in polymerization plant of ICI technology
for more than 20 yrs.
kindly reply at this add:-
e-mail:- pcdul1980@hotmail.com

at present i am on vacation in india with my family.
i am indian national.
thank you,
best regards,
s.b.chauhan
baroda
india

Dear S.B.Chauhan,

You probably should write to him through the publisher. He is probably in big demand. If I come across his email, I'll send it to you.

JOM.

Hi Tom.

I have a site where I am compiling material and links to do with investigations into major incidents. I am focusing on industry in Victoria, Australia, but include links to authorities in US, Europe and so on.

The address is

The US Chemical Safety Bureau are producing excellent analytical reports. They are at:

Do you monitor major incidents in your part of the world (Scotland, I believe)?

Cheers,
John.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back