Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Learning Journal Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenja824

Automotive
Nov 5, 2014
US
I am self taught in a lot of things and have never struggled much to learn things. VB Code seems to be my kryptonite. I have tried and tried and still struggle to do many of the basic things. Which sucks because I am the one they turn to for creating buttons for the most part. lol I do not know if code is just beyond my grasp at my age or if I screwed up in starting off by trying to manipulate other code and now I created a sort of virtual wall I cant break through.

No matter how much code I study and try to manipulate, Im not learning to write it or make any real serious changes to journals and I feel wrong always depending on others here to write things for me.

1) Is there a good book that I should read that might help me learn it? A VB Code for Dummies type of thing? Something that will help me start from scratch as if I dont know anything at all and teach me? What would be the best book for me in this regard?

2) I am considering talking to the bosses to get one of the younger guys who seem bright to get into it and learn code. A younger fresher mind might soak it in a lot more and be better for the company in the long run. If I did that, what should someone do to learn it? Is it much better to learn in classes or should a younger person be able to read books on it and get it figured out?

Just looking for some thoughts as to how to go about this problem.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I feel your pain. As a long time user of cad I've always had to teach myself programming to automate tasks or add functionality, all the way from lisp to grip and now to vb for both NX and Solidoworks, which is like two different dialects.

Sad to say my path is virtually the same as yours so I have no advice there. NXJournaling web site and cowski have been the launchpad for my learning, and examples on the web have been my bible. It would be nice if there was a nice concise list of resources because right now it's like throwing dice looking for help.

Thankfully nothing I want to do is that complex. Good luck.

NX 12.0.1.7 Windows 10

Thanks Barnon

I am definitely going to see what I can learn from this. Hopefully it helps clear it all up for me. lol Very appreciated.

One very helpful learning tool for me was to install the free version of Visual Studio Express with NX Templates. I still pirate most of my code from the web but when I'm modifying it in the Editor it will give you allowable suggestions as your typing.
Clipboard02_oqyxao.jpg

Currently I try to use Notepad++. Would you suggest switching over to Visual Studio Express?

I will be honest, I am considering strongly talking to my bosses and letting them know they would be better off if they took one of the young guys and had him start learning code. I have been so focused on trying to fix some code to place labels attached to component attributes that I hurt at the end of the day from not getting out of my chair at all. Two straight days of it and I realized I am just not going to get anywhere. I am just starting to accept that this stuff isn't going to sink in. lol I am still going to keep trying, but I think it would be better to teach someone who is younger and might soak it in quicker.

If someone new is going to learn from scratch, I would like to set them up with the best way for them to learn.

Thanks for the help.

Kenja824 said:
I am just starting to accept that this stuff isn't going to sink in. lol I am still going to keep trying, but I think it would be better to teach someone who is younger and might soak it in quicker.

I'm the same boat. I just turn 60 and my short term memory sucks. But I'm still not going to throw in the towel yet. I just take a lot of notes.

Barnon mentioned downloading VS Express with NX Templates. When downloading VS Express, I could not find anything about NX. Is there another place to go to download NX Templates?

Doesn't seem like we have the SNAP Author Licence. I have to use "Imports MiniSnap, MiniSnap.Create". I wonder how much that limits SNAP programming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back