Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lefranc and Lugeon correlations

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmorgh

Geotechnical
Dec 17, 2002
IR
Hi,
I am searching for a correlation between the permeability values obtained by Lefranc and Lugeon field tests. In other words, the permeability of a rock in Lugeon unit is calculated (upon completion of a Lugeon test) and the corresponding permeability in Lefranc method (i.e. say in cm/sec) is needed.

Thanks
Cmorgh

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I suggest you re-post this in Soil Testing Engineering, as it seems to get a lot more traffic than this forum, which seems to be a backwater.

DRG

Doesn't Lugeon give you the permeability for rock while Lefranc is for soils (same number but diferent purposes, so no correlation needed)?
The only concern would be rock is very dependent on fissures so you have a lot of concern on directionality and if your test hit a crack.

Probably misunderstood, but I am curious.

You might also try:

Home > Forums > Civil / Environmental Engineers > Activities > Soil/Groundwater environmental engineering Forum

I didn't know it existed until today.

DRG

Hi
To dgillette: Thanks for your care. I regret to say The forum in question seems to be no longer active.

To blueoak: You are right. Lugeon is expected to be performed in rock, whilst lefranc is expected to be performed in alluvium.
However, consider that the alluvial layer is grouted now (Lefranc being performed prior to grouting). The layer is now different from alluvium and mostly similar to rock (packer set up easily carried out after drilling). Hence, Lugeon is performed. Now, how to correlate these two results?

Regards
cmorgh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back