Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

legal or letter

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnhan76

Civil/Environmental
May 16, 2002
US
I am setting up my office. I need to buy some filing cabinets. I am debating between legal and letter sized files. It doesnt sound like a big deal but it is a decision that i will be stuck with for a while. Any advice?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Legal size will not fit in a letter size file.

Buy a dictionary, keep it nearby and USE it. Webster's New World Dictionary of American English is recommended, and Webster's Collegiate Dictionary.

I am a civil engineer. Most of the documents that I deal with are letter sized. However I was thinking that i should go to the bigger files for flexibility. But I can save a lot of room by going with the letter sized and then you dont have the letter sized docs floating around in a big folder and getting disorganized. I just thought that someone out there with more experience than I could say,"I have a _______ sized filing system but if I had it to do over again I would use a _______ sized filing system.

I bought only legal size file cabinets. I needed that size so I could more easily fit in envelopes and folders. If you fold any plan sheets, they usually are bigger than 8.5" x 11". Don't waste your money on letter size file cabinets.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say binders for documents and rolls, flat files, or accordian files for drawings. I like the binder system.

Current company uses legal size binders for everything, which is mostly letter size. Previous company used letter size binders for everything, some of which was legal. I can't see a nickel's worth of difference in the two systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back