Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Legality

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenimi

Mechanical
Nov 30, 2011
US
Friday’s question: see attachment.
Don’t ask if is functional callout.

I am interested if the callout is legal per Y14.5-1994 standard (or per Y14.5-2009).
Should be an easy question: yes or no.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is total size tolerance for features controlled by this callout?
If it is greater than .020, the requirement defined in the FRTZF may mean nothing for actual sizes allowing bonus tolerance to be greater than .020.

I would not however say it is illegal - at least in my opinion it does not violate any rule of composite positional tolerancing.

If I am not too late - I used term "legal but useless" on this forum before.

Exactly for the reason that FRTZF value may become larger, I wouldn't recommend anyone to use it. But I couldn't find anything explicitly forbidding the technique.

LEGAL is a bad word to use in this context! Is it ALLOWED or WITHIN THE SCOPE of the standard would be better.

No one is going to come and throw you in jail for using a bad GD&T calllout.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

looslib,

Napoleon used to say: "Every private in the French army carries a field-marshal's baton in his knapsack."

Every GD&T "expert" is a wannabe lawyer. :)

greenimi,

Your tolerance box can be interpreted as per ASME Y14.5M-1994. The top tolerance box even makes sense to me. You are specifying the accuracy with which a hole pattern is located. This does not require MMC. Your second box ensures that screws pass through the holes. MMC now is a useful concept.

When you say "legal", I have visions of Captain GD&T smashing his way into your office and hurling a mouse pad at you.

--
JHG

Thank you gentlemen
So, the conclusion is:
It is ALLOWED or WITHIN THE SCOPE of the standard (legal)

Pmarc,
Quote: "What is total size tolerance for features controlled by this callout?
If it is greater than .020, the requirement defined in the FRTZF may mean nothing for actual sizes allowing bonus tolerance to be greater than .020."

The size is within ±.005, so, total size tolerance is .010 for features controlled by the callout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back