Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Length of hose

Status
Not open for further replies.

ella0509

Mechanical
May 19, 2004
GB
Hello,

I've been given a STEP file of a flexible hose by our supplier - its purely the solid model portion, and has no datum axis or curves.

Is there a way in Pro/E WF2 to reverse engineer the component to discover the total end-to-end length, bearing in mind its bent in various different directions??

Regards,

Lee

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Lee,

Create points at the center of each straight section. Then construct your curve. Measure the curve and you'll have the total length of the bending pipe.

-Hora

Hi Hora,

Thanks for your response. The item only has 1 small straight section at either end, with the rest of the hose being one long continuous curve bent in many different directions and bend radii - I don't know how to create points at the direction changes......

Regards,
Lee

Can you measure the curve lengths of the wireframe edges of the part. Obvously this will not give the same result as the central axis, but if you can measure 2 diametrically opposite edges and take an average between then you should get pretty close..... I think.

Lee,

You can place planes that intersect the hose at however many locations you need. I would place an intersecting plane for each bend in the hose. Next, place a sketched point on each plane. The point can be located at least approximately on the centroid of the hose cross-section. Now these points can be used to create a measurable datum curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back