Level guage partial stamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mec.tec

Mechanical
Oct 30, 2014
US
Dear All,

Please let me know if the level guage used for boiler is required to be S stamped ,Or if we buy it from somewhere else does it required required with partial stamping? Considering ASME SEC I PG-58.3
The boiler is deigned on ASME SEC I.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ASME Code stamping is not required but the parts shall meet the Code requirements, name of Mfr.model,pressure ratings.

General Blr. CA,USA

Thanks for response but here is a confusion that if same stamp is not required then why level guage is mentioned in battery limit of S stamp per PG-58.

That diagram is the source of ambiguity on this subject. I've seen end users require an S-stamp level gauge, and USA Mfg companies can provide the LG as such (optional). However, the common industry practice is that the LG is built to comply with ASME code requirements (PG-60), without a stamp.

Hello Baqar110

Gage Glasses are not required to be S-Stamped, see below ASME Official Interpretation: (Please note that correct paragraph in the current Code Edition is PG-11.4 instead of PG-11.3 while reading this interpretation)

Interpretation: I-89-06
Subject: Section I (1986 Edition, 1987 Addenda), PW-42, Welding Requirements for Gage Glasses
Date Issued: October 4, 1988
File Number: BC88-159
Related Documents:

Question (1): Are gage glasses considered to be part of the boiler proper as defined in Fig. PG-58.3.1?
Reply (1): No, they are part of the Boiler External Piping, subject to the rules of PG-60.

Question (2): May welded gage glass bodies be provided under the requirements of PG-11.3 by a manufacturer who does not possess a Section I Certificate of Authorization?

Reply (2): Yes.

Question (3): Must the welding for gage glass bodies, complying with a manufacturer's standard, meet the requirements of PG-11.3?

Reply (3): Yes.

Question (4): Does PW-42 apply to gage glasses?

Reply (4): Yes.

Javed Nasir
Inspection Engineer
Technip-France Abu Dhabi

Baqar 110:
One more interpretation on the same subject:

Interpretation: I-86-07
Subject: Section I, PG-60, Materials for Water Columns
Date Issued: September 26, 1985
File Number: BC83-574
Related Documents:

Question (1): May a water column for use on a power boiler be designed as a standard pressure part?
Reply (1): Yes. See PG-11 and PW-42.

Question (2): May a water column for use on a power boiler be constructed of SA-36 for the nozzles or body?

Reply (2): No. SA-36 material may not be used, except as permitted in PG-13.

Question (3): May a water column for use on a power boiler be constructed using standard piping components and/or individually designed parts, as permitted by the rules of Section I?

Reply (3): Yes.

Question (4): May a water column for use on a power boiler be designed to the rules of Section VIII?

Reply (4): No

Javed Nasir
Inspection Engineer
Technip-France Abu Dhabi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back