Level Tolerances in Concrete Construction 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

EclipseEngg

Electrical
Apr 18, 2007
CA
Hello,

I'm going out of my area of expertise but I'd like some help from the Structural group. I am buying a new (concrete) apartment and the floor is slightly bumpy in different regions in the main family/dining room. The contractor mentions that the concrete building code suggests that such a difficiency within 1/4" is tolerable by the Concrete Construction code. While doing some extra research I stumbled upon an American document that never stated any reasonable tolerances, but had solutions to keep it flat/level. Does anyone know if such tolerances exist? If so, what are they?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From Australian Standard AS 3600 'Concrete structures':

19.5.2.4 Deviation from surface alignment
The deviation of any point on a surface of a member, from a straight line joining any two points on the surface, shall not exceed 1/250 times the length of the line or 10 mm, whichever is the greater.

There are tolerances.
I don't recall which ACI publication addresses this.
For residential construction, the tolerances are going to be less unless specifically spelled out during construction.
The low spots can be leveled out with different concrete products. It will depend on the size of the low spot and the depth to fill as to which prodect and/or repair procedure is used.

Regardless of allowable tolerances, the Contractor is using a technicality to wiggle out of shoddy workmanship. Unless you absolutely are getting a great deal or some other reason for buying, I would stipulate the floor must be leveled (if you want to put down carpet). Get it in writing!

Or get an allowance from seller to fix the floor yourself.

If you were installing tile, the concrete bumps may not be a serious fault as I think grout could account for this. Possibly wood flooring could cover this as well.

This situation is common in European countries like Ukraine. They cover floor with some type of wood and this was acceptable for them.

wjsd said:
Regardless of allowable tolerances, the Contractor is using a technicality to wiggle out of shoddy workmanship. Unless you absolutely are getting a great deal or some other reason for buying, I would stipulate the floor must be leveled (if you want to put down carpet). Get it in writing!

The disturbing part is this is a luxury style condo that was expensive, so I'm going to pursue this further!

COEngineeer said:
If you can feel it, then I think it is not acceptable, you wont even be able to put a dining table there.

The fact that the contractor even acknowledged the problem existed makes me wonder if they were hoping the laminate flooring that was placed on top of it would hide the defficiency. Upon visual inspection its difficult to tell, but once walking upon it it's easily noticeable.

Thanks for your responses, I'll dig deeper with the developer!

ACI 301, Specifications for Structural Concrete calls for floor slabs to meet the tolerance requirements fo ACI 117. ACI 117 has 4 classes of floors with different tolerence criteria. For our projects, floor flatness is spelled out in the Concrete Section of the Contract Documents. Your Structural Engineer should have spelled out a flatness/levelness criteria, and remedial action if the criteria is not met.

jmiec said:
ACI 301, Specifications for Structural Concrete calls for floor slabs to meet the tolerance requirements fo ACI 117. ACI 117 has 4 classes of floors with different tolerence criteria.

Do you know what the typical tolerance for residential construction would be? I don't have open access to those standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back