Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Levelling tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

vlarco

Aug 7, 2012

Dear forumusers,

A while ago I have purchased a Leica Builder 309 (total station). I have no background as surveyor, so I don't know al the applications of this instrument, and was just trained to measure up buildings and obstacles where I frequently use it for.

Recently I have installed a small wind turbine on a mast of 15m. I've noticed the mast was not completely levelled because the turbine is always pointing in the same direction. Now I want to use the total station to level the mast, because a spirit level can't be used. I have attached a file to explain what I have to do, and why the spirit level can't be used. Does anyone can give me an idea on how to use this instrument for this application?

The second option is to regulate and climb up there and push the nacelle, and look if this can point in every direction and I want to avoid this step.

Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't see any explanation regarding a spirit level

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

I would do this using a spirit level by putting the level on the nut and the nut next to it. Two reason why this could not work are:
- The septums between the nuts
- Nuts are (I think) to close to each other, so this will not be an accurate way.

Are there any other ways to use a spirit level?

P.S The diameter of the tower is not constant, so putting a spirit level against the mast won't work

Non constant diameter is not a problem, per se. If you had an inclinometer, you would simply adjust until opposite sides had the same slope.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back