Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LH / RH Machine Assemblies

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondcat

Automotive
Aug 21, 2002
US
I have a model of a three station assembly line along with all of its 2d assemblies and 2D detail sheets. I have to create a complete LH version of this package including the drw files. Some of the details will need a LH version and some can be used on both assemblies.

Has anyone done this and/or does anyone know of the easiest way to go about completing this task?

Thanks,
Lori

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just remember that mirrored parts won't bring-in any component dims. :-(

[green]"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."[/green]
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

I find the easiest way is to use SW Explorer to make a copy of the RH version, then replace whatever components need to be LH.
TIP: Use the top level assy drawing to make the copy from, then all the child components will be listed for copy selection.

Obviously you will need to create the LH version components before being able to replace them.

[cheers] & all the best.

Thanks, I just thought maybe there was some magical way to get a LH version that I wasn't aware of. Maybe something that could mirror the drawing files too. I didn't want to have to reassemble another complete assembly.

I didn't want to have to reassemble another complete assembly.
If you use SW Explorer per my previous post, you don't have to. It will create a copy of the RH assy, which you can then convert to a LH version by replacing components.

[cheers] & all the best.

Without seeing the assembly, it is hard to know if this will work, but you might be able to insert a plane and mirror the entire assembly. Mirror all components and check the boxes for the parts that require a left hand version.

I tried to do what you are saying on a smaller test assembly. I selected the 'Recreate mates' option but in the end it wasn't able to bring any of the mates over and some of the pieces moved out of position. But I guess it's better than nothing and is something I can at least start with. I will just have to remate everything which is a little better than rebuilding everything.

I do this frequently with fixturing for right and left hand components.
I open an assembly, insert an unused base part. I use a thin plate at the exact location of the origin.
Then I insert the completed right or left hand assembly appropriately to the left or right of this plate.
Then i mirror the assembly using the plane in the base part.
SW will then go thru the process of asking which components need mirrored parts and appropriate names for them.

Sometimes poorly mated assemblies get wacked a bit, but nothing that cannot be repaired.

You still need to create drawings, unless you are lazy like me and just add the note "2 mirrored parts required" to the existing detail drawings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back