Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Library files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grunde

Computer
Jul 12, 2011
NO
I am currently working on a translation of a fortran program to matlab. I have all the source code, but apart from that subroutines and functions from closed libraries are used. Now, those libraries are in a folder right besides the source code itself, but whenever I have tried to compile the entire thing or any piece of code that calls a subroutine from these libraries, I get an error message that the subroutine cannot be found. I have tried this in many different ways, but recently, I have been made aware that there is a difference between dll library files and lib library files. I've got .lib-files, but no dll, and I am thinking maybe I have just got a reference to the libraries used (the lib files) instead of the libraries containing the actual object files (the dll files). is this the case?

In any case, does anyone know how i can open and list all the object files my lib files are referring to?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I like static libraries better.

What does your compilation/linking command look like? Are you including the path to those libraries in the command so that the fortran compiler finds them?

I'm quite new at fortran at large, I'm using the plato IDE, in which I have tried to include the lib-files in many different ways. having them in the same folder as the f-files, for example, or include them in a project containing all the f-files, then build. I think perhaps I should go and haunt the plato forums for a little while, but thanks!

The lbirary needs to be described, usually, in two locations:
> The compiler needs header information to know how to resolve the function calls and what the format of the call is
> The compiler generally requires a list of files to be included in the compilation, e.g., MAKE files in C. Many GUIs have a menu item that allows you to construct the equivalento of a MAKE file inside the GUI.

TTFN

FAQ731-376
Chinese prisoner wins Nobel Peace Prize

If you are using plato, have a look at the tree. All the libraries need to be added as to the reference tree.

When you add the reference, you have to navigate to where the .lib file is (normally under Checkmate\win32 in the library directory)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back