Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Library forgetting configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakek

Mechanical
Apr 26, 2005
US

We have created a library of parts, that we use all the time. We have allocated the directory, containing these parts, as a "design library" in [File Locations] under [Options]. Many of these parts have several configurations (example: fasteners - config by length).

We like this because you can grab what you want from the library and it prompts you to pick the config you want, and allows you to create several instances (with the chosen configuration).

Problem: With certain files, after you place the first instance of the part, the part reverts back to the last saved configuration and not the configuration you originally chose. Is this some setting in the part or design table (we did you design tables for creating most of these parts)???!!

Why? Why does it torment me so??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you library parts on a network?
Is the folder read only?
What version Solidworks?

¿)

To get the best from these forums read FAQ731-376 before posting

The thead title is "Library forgetting configuration", but what you describe is actually the assembly forgetting which config of a part should be used.
You also state you have the problem "With certain files ...", so I assume you are saying that only some files give you the problem.

Does this happen immediately when you place the part, or after a save, or ???

Are there any obvious differences between the problem files & the files that work OK? (eg; Revolve vs Extrusion, many configs versus a just a few, size of file, custom props vs no custom props, etc)

[cheers]
Making the best use of this Forum. faq559-716
How to get answers to your SW questions. faq559-1091
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of. faq559-520

dsgnr1,

The parts are on a network. They are read only, except for me and one other guy (we administer the library), but we have the same problem. We are using SW 2005 SP3.1.

CorBlimeyLimey,

Any way you want to say it the configuration is not being remembered.

When you drag a part out of a library - drop it where you want it to go - then you are propted to select the configuration via a dialog box - the dropped part converts to the selected configuration - then you are able to place more parts (that should be of the same configuration).

Problem: After the first part other parts revert back to the configuration that was last saved in the part file, before you place them, in the assembly.

I don't immediately see any differences between the part files that might be the problem. Parts of similar nature have different results.

I could however do a more thorough search, but I would like to know if there is an easy answer first...

So the first part config remains as selected? If so, then try selecting the first part from the FM (while holding down the CTRL button) & drag-n-drop from there.

[cheers]

Jakek,
If you hold down the ALT key while dragging it will put into a smart mate mode. This helps speed up the mating process.

For instance if you have a flat head screw mating into a hole. Select the edge of the flat head and hold the ALT key while dragging with the left mouse button depressed. You will notice that your dragged part will be transparent and a little paperclip appears on your screen. with mouse button still depressed you then need to hover over the edge of the hole and it will mate a coincident and concentric mate in one shot.I hope this makes sense.

Best Regards,
Jon

Challenges are what makes life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.

Solidworks 2005 SP3.1

Jon,

Yes, thank you. I am aware of the ALT + drag trick, as well.

If you guys can answer my original question, I will be able to eliminate both of these steps.

Thank you - Please try again.

OK!

Answer to first question ... No

Answer to 2nd & 3rd question ... I don't know.

[cheers]

Have you tried inserting the library parts off of your hard drive instead of directly from the library?

Is you network a Windows network?

Is the assembly in to which you are dragging the parts located on the network as well, or on your hard drive?

engAlright,

I have not tried to load the parts from my hard drive. But because the problem seems to be consistantly happening to certain parts, I don't believe it is a network erorr.

We are running a Windows Network (as of about 6 months ago).

With the assemblies on, or off, the network doesn't seem to make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back