Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

License is lost 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HFMike

Industrial
Oct 28, 2014
US
Hiya All,
Using Creo2. Have an issue where a few people seem to lose their floating license due to inactivity
Problem is that Creo is not releasing the license. Then if the user comes back to their workstation and attempts to do anything within Creo it seems they cannot regain the unreleased license.

I've preached to these guys not to leave Creo open if leaving for lunch, etc...
However, I would think that Creo should release the license fairly quickly - am I wrong?
Is there anything I can do to help the system along in releasing a license sooner?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check the timeout setting in the ptc.opt file in your license server configuration.
It is in seconds that a license will remain connected with no activity. Set it for a shorter time, like 20 minutes.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Thanks Ben; however, that's the problem. It is passing up this inactivity time and still keeping the license tied up

Try rebooting the license server.

Did the timeout work at one time?

Ben Loosli

When they loose the license due to inactivity, anyone else can get it immediately. If they come back after loosing it they should get it back immediately unless someone else is using it. You can set the inactivity timeout really high so that it does not get released (5400 is long enough for a 1.5 hour lunch). There is a config option Suppress_license_loss_dialog that might help you see what is going on.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

This is affecting only two people
These people are in China (Server is in Illinois, US)

I'm not really a Creo, Wildfire, etc... type of guy
I'm the network admin here and they've pawned this issue on over to me as they don't think it's a Creo issue

I've already set the NICs to ignore power options and to remain active
I've already set a FLEXLM_TIMEOUT (did this for AutoCAD a while back) and that works (for AutoCAD at least)

Below is the link to the issues they're showing me

Is there any way to get the client to connect back up to the license that is held by there computer?
It seems that is what they are really wanting

It sounds like a network propagation time problem - The license server hears from the clients often enough that it keeps the license active, but the client stations don't get an authorization reply fast enough to believe they have a license.

You could look at setting up license borrowing so that they are stand-alone. I think this removes the licenses from the overall pool for the duration given.

You could also flush the licenses and make them re-acquire the licenses.

"You could also flush the licenses and make them re-acquire the licenses."
3DDave - How would I go about setting that up. (flushing the licenses).

Now, here's the scenario
We have ONE license server here in the states and a 3 licenses dedicated for the 4 Chinese people (now they set that up, I don't know)
I've been shot down on the notion of getting a license server over there

It would take very little to setup a local Chinese license server. Any computer, including one of their workstations, can be a license server. In stand alone installations the workstation is both license server and client.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

The PTC.opt file has methods for allocating licenses to dedicated users/groups. It is all in the FlexLM manuals on how to set it all up.
There is a PTCflush commnand that will flush all licenses and when the user needs one, it will take the next available license. Put the pTCflush in a batch file and have it run on some cycle, 1,2,4 hours, etc.

Ben Loosli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back