Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

License Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

anmorgan

Automotive
Nov 3, 2009
US
Hey all, so I have a license that allows up to 10 users to have access to it.

I currently have one computer that has the valid license and another computer on the same network pointing to that one, the same way itself does (28000@hostname).

What I'm trying to do now is do this on another computer that is not on the same network, but should be able to access it, since the network is not behind a firewall.

Can anyone assist on how to accomplish this?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The same way you do the others.
Use the full path name of the server.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

If have not configured this before but what you are describing is the way we work with one license server for multiple network domains. So my guess is:

28000@hostname.domain

Assuming you are running Windoze XP. Right click on My Computer on the Desktop of the computer that is your license server. Select Properties. Click on the Computer Name tab. Notice the Full computer name which should be hostname.domain. User that full computer name when prompted for the license server on the workstations on the other network. This assumes you have a trust established between the two network domains.

hmm yea I've tried that. I'm still not sure what is the correct way of doing this. I might have to call up GTAC and see if they can help

try using the ip address instead. eg 28000@192.168.1.1
see if you can ping the license server from the new client either by hostname or the ip address.

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

NX4.0.4MP10, NX5.0.0->5.0.6, NX6.0.0->NX6.0.5, NX7.0.0->NX7.0.1 & NX7.5.0.32-> NX7.5.1.5

Hi,

I have a similar problem:

My laptop is my licence server NX7.5 and my 2nd PC is able to access to the licence and start NX only if I stop the windows firewall open my laptop.

Any Idea

Thanks in advance

Regards
Didier Psaltopoulos

1. stop the license service.
2. edit the license file so that on the ugslmd line you specify a port:
VENDOR ugslmd PORT=28001

3. restart the license service.
4. on the laptop, add two port exceptions in Windows firewall to allow port 28000 & 2800 through.

NX talks to the license server on 28000 but the secondary comms are on a dynamic port. The above sets the secondary port to a fixed port.

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

NX4.0.4MP10, NX5.0.0->5.0.6, NX6.0.0->NX6.0.5, NX7.0.0->NX7.0.1 & NX7.5.0.32-> NX7.5.2.5

Hi anthony,

Thanks four your answer

You say:
4. on the laptop, add two port exceptions in Windows firewall to allow port 28000 & 2800 through
-------------------------------28001 !!!!

Could you explain the exact way to add port exceptions ?

and do we need to change the UGS_LICENSE_SERVER ?

TIA

Regards
Didier Psaltopoulos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back