Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Licenses Certifications and Tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHALLENGERSRT

Student
Jan 12, 2024
US
Well I'm trying to make it into the drafting field and i have been split on all these different industries. I'm trying to find actual certifications and licenses. I sent in a request to the email provided on the TN website.
After looking on Reddit for some time i found out that certifications are needed to rise in the career. I've taken an "interest" in things such as MEP/Surveying/Electrical/Structural. Like i just want to get into something niche. I have a internship with a Contractor in TN called WT contracting. I told them I was at school for AutoCAD/Drafting. I actually just DMned the contractors IG page then called and scheduled the internship...(May 4)

These websites like coursea i heard it's not the best for finding info. I know i have to get irl experience. How? I see people saying that drafters are in demand in things such as what i mentioned above.

The main reason I'm doing this is because obviously I'm tired of being broke my whole life. I had mentioned about the times i cold called companies to try to "Freelance AutoCAD" Of course none of those calls lead to anything. I find out it's against Autodesk policy to commercialize it. I ended up quitting my job at the wings restraunt. Besides school my life consists of "modeling and drawing cars...studying either MEP/ or all the other subdisciplines.

just could use some direction..also i am 21

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm trying to understand "I have a internship with a Contractor in TN called WT contracting. I told them I was at school for AutoCAD/Drafting. I actually just DMned the contractors IG page then called and scheduled the internship...(May 4)"

I think you mean you've applied for an internship and have an interview on May 4th. I think you've said that you're in a school program ... but aren't ? oooo ... that's a bad move. I think on other threads you've said you have done some college work ... got some sort of certificate to show for it ? Yes, it's very hard getting your foot in the front door; yes, most say you need experience for an entry level job (but how do you get that experience ??).

I think an internship is the way to go ... let the company see you, and get a good impression of your skills.

If you have misrepresented yourself I think you need to clarify that early on.

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

In my industry, what most businesses mean when they say "I want someone with experience" for a drafting position, what they really mean is that the prospective employee:
1) Knows the basics of drafting, including terminology, standards, tolerancing, and "how things go together". Having actual hands-on experience with a specific CAD/CAM system is a plus, not a showstopper.
2) Either has experience with another company manufacturing the same product, or something where the general design process is similar.
3) Is willing to learn new things.
4) Is willing to work with others - because the usual breakdown of the tasks is to have an "experienced designer" who does the real design from a blank sheet of paper, and a handful of "detailers" who add in all the other stuff to make it workable for the guy putting the actual components together.
5) Knows how to handle themselves in a polite and professional manner - because they WILL be working others, at least internally to the company.
6) Can handle repetitive tasks - because let's face it, a LOT of the detailers' responsibilities are very repetitive.

Converting energy to motion for more than half a century

There are no certifications for drafters. You may get a certificate or diploma from a school program, but no license or registration to do the job. The engineers have those, but not the drafters.

I too am unclear on your schooling past but the best "certification" you could get would be a trade school drafting diploma. I already had experience in the field when I started so I found it very easy, so I was taking 18-21 credits a semester while working part time. Didn't take long to get through it.

You will still need to get experience in your specific industry, but many companies will have a lower starting position you can work while you learn the industry. That drafting degree is the thing that might be needed to get your foot in the door to get to that learning position.

If you have an internship lined up, that's a good start but that could be on their assumption that you are going/will go to school. If you don't then its hard to say what your long term looks like. Even if they do keep you, the degree would likely get you a noticeable pay bump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back