Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lift for Goods 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Jandra11:
You really have to use a little engineering imagination, we can’t see it from here, we haven’t been thinking about the problem for days, as you have, we don’t have the vaguest damn idea what you are trying to do, and that’s not our fault. If you can’t describe your problem in understandable engineering terms so that other engineers can understand it, you are probably not going to get very much meaningful help. You have to give enough real design info. so that others understand what you are doing. Your second post gives much more info. than your first, but that still isn’t much. Why wouldn’t you buy this elevator, there are a number of builders of this type of equipment.

@xr250 and dhengr sorry for that. I just ask to design a Lift as what I said its a elevator lift that will transfer goods from ground floor to mezzanine and I don't have any idea or experience on designing this kind of structure that's why I tried to research but I haven't found any. I thought it will be easy to find any standard design on the internet but I'm not lucky enough to find one. I thought it will be a good experience for me to learn new things by accepting this project from my friend but I think I'll tell him I'm not capable of doing this.
BTW thank you for responding.

Jandra11:
Note that your second post said “elevator lift use to transfer 200kg from ground floor to mezzanine.” A much more meaningful description in terms of our understanding what you are trying to do. You knew what you wanted to do, but we didn’t and couldn’t see it from here. But, you are still way short on dimensions, prelim framing of the lift and structure around I, some sketches, etc. etc, and these all come into play in a meaningful discussion of the design problem. That is probably not a real good project, as a first (or starter) project. There will be many mechanical design challenges, many safety considerations for loads and working people around the elevator. Here in the USA there will be OSHA, Bldg. Codes, Industry Stds., State and Fed. regulations on that type of equip., etc. Someone (a company) who does that type of equip. every day will likely provide a finished lift much more economically than you can design and build one. However, it could be as simple as a hole in the mezz. floor, and an old fork lift with a platform on the forks, parked directly under the floor hole. There are many ‘scissors lifts’ and the like made for this type of lifting operation. Google ‘scissors lifts.’

@JIM thank you for the advice
@dhengr sir thank you for such advice and for answering a very vague question of mine. btw I already told my friend that I'm not capable of doing that but I'm more willing to listen or learn from you. this is the proposed opening of the lift (1200mmx1200mm)
lift_ifp2ak.jpg
the elevation from the ground will be 3m.
And youre right I have no idea regarding the mechanical stuff. and I my friend said that a simple lay out of the column and beams will be enough for them to have an approval.

As dhengr describes, too many initial posts come on and maybe after 10 cycles back and forth some semblance of an understandable situation develops, as in this case. The only suggestion that I can suggest for the first post is give as much information about the situation, the location, the weather, the material, etc. as possible, even if apparently not related. Then maybe some useful answers will come forth. Otherwise it is a waste of everyone's time.

Jandra11:
That’s a 4’ sq. opening, you saw cut it, and it is already framed at the top and at the right sides, but you still have to be sure that that framing is adequate for the purpose. It is about 10’ from the ground fl. to the mezz. fl. Again, much more meaningful design info. This kind of info. is important to an experience engineer so he can glean an understanding of the size and proportions of the problem. An example; a cantilever is a cantilever, but a 5” dia., 60’ tall flag pole is a hell of a lot different than a 4’ deep, 2’ long concrete beam corbel, but they are both cantilevers; and an experienced engineer will be looking for those differences because his answers will be completely different for the two conditions. Then, you need a column at the lower left corner and two beams at the left and bottom sides, to carry the mezz. fl. loads, etc. Maybe you could install a long beam btwn. existing framing from left to right or from top to bottom and then a shorter beam to frame the remaining side of the opening This whole framing system must take any lateral loads from the lift into the mezz. Your friend is wrong in putting you in the position of assuring (guaranteeing) that everything works together, without allowing you the time and the money to be sure that they do. Don’t allow yourself to be put in that position, it ruins friendships quickly when the sh*t hit the fan, because things don’t work and aren’t properly coordinated. Does the lift impart any loads on the mezz. structure or is it free standing and independent? These kinds of thing must be worked out for a good final design, otherwise you may save a dollar on engineering, but end up with an really inferior solution.

@dheng I really appreciate your time and effort for understanding this type of problem. Yeah youre right and I told him to hire other engineer which has more experience doing this kind of things. And I'll tell him all the tips and advice you mention. Again thank you so much for helping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back