Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Light-Frame Wood Design Software with Modeling and Load Tracing Capabilities 2

BaileyW

Civil/Environmental
Mar 17, 2020
US
Hi all,

I've been searching for wood design software for some time now and figured I'd check here to see if anyone knows something that I don't. I've been searching for a software that is capable of 3D modeling light-frame wood construction as well as load pathing/tracing automatically. I know several programs that do this (MiTek Structure, Javelin, BC Framer, etc.) but they are almost exclusively only available to distributors of their individual EWP products. The homes I generally work on are very large and complex (currently working on a design for a 16,500 sqft single family residence) so the usual Enercalc/WoodWorks/Tedds (single-member analysis programs) are very time consuming to utilize. I end up spending most of my time determining the load on a beam or a reaction at a pier than I do actually sizing members.

I know Ram and Risa are somewhat capable, but they really aren't suited for that or really even comparable to the programs I listed above.

Any thoughts or recommendations that may be worth looking into? I did some research and I think Javelin may technically be available to non-dealers, but I'd rather not put all my eggs in a single basket without some supporting evidence. I hadn't heard of Javelin until a few days ago so I wouldn't want to commit to something that may not be ideal.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Since Forte introduced linking loads and many other material/ size options, I use that primarily now for all sorts of custom complex house projects. Yes it is a bit time consuming to do things individually, but being able to link loads and quickly re-run something is a life-saver.

For other single member design we use Enercalc and StruCalc for flitch beams.

Weyerhaeuser sent a rep to our old office and I worked with them for 1 whole week on a 3d house model in Javelin. Not even a complicated house, just a standard 2 story rectangle. But man the amount of detail that program needs to even get it to run is insane. Not worth it for engineers doing just design work.

Honestly a lot of the advantage to 3d programs isn't just tracking the load transfer but also doing gravity and lateral together in the same model. But that just doesn't work for residential anyway so I don't see much use in it for houses.

XR250 said:
Will CSD design with dimensional lumber roof and floor framing and beams?

It would back when I used it. Now that it's Simpson, I would not be surprised if the connection hardware was no longer broad spectrum.

jerseyshore said:
Honestly a lot of the advantage to 3d programs isn't just tracking the load transfer but also doing gravity and lateral together in the same model. But that just doesn't work for residential anyway so I don't see much use in it for houses.

I've never had any luck with 3D for light frame lateral either. The sane prosecution of those systems doesn't play well with the rigorous nature of FEM. I'd always wind up saying to myself "whatever FEM... this where I'll actually put the load".

Yes Simpson acquired CSD. Their software package is now CW EWP Studio. We are talking about the same program.

I can confirm it does EWP and dimensional lumber l, straight from the Simpson Rep

Back