Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Light Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electricliff

Electrical
Oct 15, 2003
ES
This is hardly a technical question, but someone in your group might know the answer.
I am located in the UK.
I need to pipe light over multiple paths which vary from 1 to 5 metres.
The exit aperture for the light needs to be about 2mm.
The budget is a bit limited.
Where can I source a reel of cheap light guide or fibre optic cable?
Don't need anything exotic in terms of data transmission, just need the ability to feed it through a convoluted path, put visible light (probably white)in at one end and get at least half of it out the other.
I have lots of suppliers prepared to sell me high grade megabit data cable, but at the price they are asking we might as well use copper wire with 3mm LED's at the other end.
Thanks Electricliff

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks acadien
Trouble is, if we go down this route, we could need a steady supply and E-Bay is not ideal for scheduled supply!
Somebody obviously makes cheapo light guides for all these fancy lights and Xmas trees, but so far my web searches have only found distributors for high grade data optical cable.
Thanks anyway
Electricliff

Try the cheap plastic fibre that is suitable for low speed or short distances. You can get it from RS or Farnell, and its simple to terminate yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back