Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Light Industrial BA graduate specialized in design and packaging looking for advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

werlein

Industrial
Sep 22, 2014
US
Dear Engineers out there :)

I would like to ask your advise. I graduated as a light industrial engineer specialized in packaging and design. I moved from Hungary, European Union. Since I've moved right after my graduation I don't have experience on my field of choice. I do have work experience in administration, customer service, sales, human resources, marketing and management. I would love to work as an engineer. I didn't actually applied to any package engineering jobs in the States because well I think I was afraid. When I moved I tried to get into L'Oreal as an intern but it was right after the economic crisis and they said that they have limited acceptations and it was completely unpaid. My choice was them because I used to work for L'Oreal in Hungary. I was also told that I would need some school background from here as well. It hasn't been easy as I started my life basically all over but it was/is fun all the way :)

So, what would be your advise for me? How to get back to the field or to say it right, how to start? I live in New Jersey which is great because we have ton of companies here that need package engineers and Rutgers University is close by as well.

I let it go 4 years ago when I moved but I decided to give it another try :) I can't go back to do full time school unfortunately so that is out of the question. I know that I do need some kind of course or classes because it's been a while and my studies were in Hungarian. I learned ArtiosCAD from ESKO in school but I also realized that mostly they use other CAD programs in the States.

Anything would be be helpful :) Thank you so much for your time I really do appreciate it.

Have a wonderful day :)

-Hopeful :)-

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Eng-tips.com's "Packaging Engineering" forum is intended for those who do electronic product development (aka E/M packaging engineering). If you're talking about product packaging like with shrink wrap, cardboard, and paper then you're in the wrong place. This website does not discuss that kind of "packaging".

Tunalover

Dear Tunalover,

Thank you so much for letting me know. Yes, my interest is "product packaging". I guess I need to look for a different forum.

Thank you again. Enjoy your day/evening.

Well, there was the guy with the package that wouldn't hang straight on the hanger in the store.

What tunalover describes is for engineers with a Bachelor of Science degree, typically in mechanical engineering.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

Dear IRstuff,

Yes that was my understanding as well. So the question is are there industrial engineers on this forum? Cause that's what I am. Light industrial to be exact.

Thank you again. Have a good evening.

The title of this forum is really not very good for its intent. I can easily see why you landed here.

In the USA the field you're considering is often call "Packaging Finishing". It is a huge industry with multiple industry magazines.

I'd suggest you give some looks at those magazines and go from there.

Google "Packaging Finishing"

Note there is a sub group called 'finishing' that can mean only painting or the 'coating' of products like painting, coatings, and anodizing, etc. This causes search engine confusion and you will have to wade thru it.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back