Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Light Industrial BA graduate specialized in design and packaging looking for advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

werlein

Industrial
Sep 22, 2014
US
Dear Engineers out there smile

I would like to ask your advise. I graduated as a light industrial engineer specialized in packaging and design. I moved from Hungary, European Union. Since I've moved right after my graduation I don't have experience on my field of choice. I do have work experience in administration, customer service, sales, human resources, marketing and management. I would love to work as an engineer. I didn't actually applied to any package engineering jobs in the States because well I think I was afraid. When I moved I tried to get into L'Oreal as an intern but it was right after the economic crisis and they said that they have limited acceptations and it was completely unpaid. My choice was them because I used to work for L'Oreal in Hungary. I was also told that I would need some school background from here as well. It hasn't been easy as I started my life basically all over but it was/is fun all the way smile

So, what would be your advise for me? How to get back to the field or to say it right, how to start? I live in New Jersey which is great because we have ton of companies here that need package engineers and Rutgers University is close by as well.

I let it go 4 years ago when I moved but I decided to give it another try smile I can't go back to do full time school unfortunately so that is out of the question. I know that I do need some kind of course or classes because it's been a while and my studies were in Hungarian. I learned ArtiosCAD from ESKO in school but I also realized that mostly they use other CAD programs in the States.

Anything would be be helpful smile Thank you so much for your time I really do appreciate it.

Have a wonderful day smile

-Hopeful smile-

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Things to consider.

1. Just go ahead and apply to any company that might be able to utilize your services. Don't wait for job adds asking for graduate packaging engineers go ahead and get your resume out there. Try multiple approaches too - don't just submit your resume by email or online. When possible pop in to the place and ask if there's someone you can talk to to give your resume to. Much of the time you won't get any where but eventually you may find someone that rather than referring you to their website or just taking your resume will actually call the engineering manager or what have you. Maybe try calling or even mailing hard copy with cover letter - perhaps get creative with who you address it to trying to get it into the engineering managers hands rather than straight to HR.

2. Network whatever that really means these days, maybe there is a local chapter of a relevant engineering society. Are you active in any other clubs or organizations where you could maybe get a friend of a friend to pass on your resume or similar?

3. I actually got my current job from posting my resume on a job web site so while probably not plan A doesn't mean you can't try it.

4. You could try seeing what if any applicable classes your local community college or similar has in drafting/CAD or similar. If nothing else the chance to get your head around American units of measure might not be a bad idea.

5. You could consider getting your degree evaluated by someone from or similar for equivalence to US practice.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Dear KENAT,

Thank you so much. I am definitely going to look into those options :) I've never thought of getting my degree evaluated, thank you.
You're right I'm going to network more (aka advertise myself) after all a lot depends on connections these days.

Thank you so much for taking your time and giving me useful advise. I really appreciate it.

Have a beautiful day :)

"Back in the day" You'd be told to pound the pavement.

Today's version of that is calling/emailing companies with a resume.

Find any company in the acceptable radius of your ideal home-base and go to their websites. Bookmark them in a folder. Email them all with your resume, adjust/tailor your resume to them if needed. Call to follow up and make sure HR got the resume. Someone will bite.

I recently moved from Louisiana to Missouri. I secured a job before moving. I knew the area I wanted to move to, so I looked up any/all interesting companies. Emailed 20, followed up with them all, got return calls from 10, and had 5 interviews, told one company I wasn't interested anymore, and otherwise had 3 job offers. It's a numbers game. It's all a number game.

I tailored my resume to suit the niche each company represented. I saved a copy of the resume I sent them with the company name suffixed to the file so that when we spoke, I could make sure I knew what they were looking at, specifically. I took notes on every name/position I spoke to, dates and times. I also had a brief "bio" for each company.

Good luck.

Dear JNieman,

Thank you so much for the ideas. Yes, I knew it's going to be a long way and hard work but it will worth it. Thank you so much for sharing. :)

Have a beautiful day :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back