Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Light Single Pass Vibratory Plate Compactor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigH

Geotechnical
Dec 1, 2002
TJ
Just wondering what y'all specify (or use if construction) for loose lift thickness for light weight single pass vibrating place compactor. See picture attached - it is a very light one . . . Appreciate any feedback . . .

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

BigH -

That looks like a typical vibratory compactor that is used for sidewalks, driveways and small areas around structures - They are proven and can be used on up to 6" lifts, depending on the material. I don't know what you mean by single pass since multiple passes are common since they almost float and can be worked in all directions.

They are also used on large and small paving stone installations for the upper base preparation and final vibration/truing up of the pavers to obtain a granular interlock necessary on all size projects. - It looks very strange to see a walk-behind plate vibrator used on a 30 acre heavy duty industrial (ship unloading) area, but they are effective and avoid the deep vibration that can be disruptive in low areas with a high water table or unstable soils.

Dick

Engineer and international traveler interested in construction techniques, problems and proper design.

BigH...depends on the soil. For sands, 10-12" can be done. For clayey sands, 6" max with tight moisture control at or above optimum. Not much good for sandy clay, clay or sandy silt if cementation present (hardpan). Depth of influence is very slight.

The "single pass vibratory plate" seems to be the "official" word for one . . . We are using for sand but have a problem with this very light vibrating plate with the fact that contractor wants to use it on 300 mm lifts (12") (chimney drain) with an RD requirement of 70% - we have told him no more than 150 and preferably 125. He finally will be getting a 1-tonne vibratory tag-along (walk-along) dual drum roller which we will feel more comfortable with as far as 300 mm lifts. In the meantime . . . I remember years ago, we use to use no more than 100 mm (4 inches) for such small equipment.

UK Specification for Highway Works 1992 includes a useful table that relates material type (need to select type from the given table) to appropriate types of plant given a maximum layer thickness and number of passes. No substitute for a site based compaction trial but a good starting point.

unsure from that picture whether ive just been hooked on a comedy fishing line or its a serious request?!

I still can't open photos from engineering.com...that must be one very light compactor. Wacker makes several in the 250-350 lb range that can do a reasonable job in sands. That one sounds too light to do much other than what CM described...seat pavers.

I think from the description they mean single direction rather than single pass. The smaller plate compactors are single direction while the better ones are reversible.

Sounds like you've got it solved with the dual drum. But if that hadn't happened, I'd have considered doing a test run with a couple different lift thicknesses and density tests through the full lift thickness to verify the compaction being achieved.

OK so you want thickness of lift. For this one, if he has to pull it along and it does not bury itself, I'd have difficulty giving any thickness, because it probably won't do for any lift. They usually walk themselves along. Leave them in one place on loose stuff and they can bury themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back