Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

light weight harley frame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

theres a guy with a shop in pheonix az. that made a nice harley with an all aluminum frame, and lots of other aluminum parts, very lightweight:) he was featured on the discovery channel on choppers II. I forget the name of the shop. it starts with a "B", he does a lot of high dollar customs, featuring s.s engines and hot designs.

tree74,

Check out Buell Motorcycle Company's XB9R Firebolt:
Click on features.

firebolt2.jpg

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

If you just want an aluminum frame, go to any Custom Chrome dealer and they should have one listed in the catalog, If it is not in this years catalog it should be in last years. I don't remember the name or price but it is there.

If you are serious about making a decent light weigh harley then you had better come to england. A company called Cloud Nine Developments (CND) based in the uk is building an amazing harley based bike. Instead of the usual rubbish the americans turn out he has addressed the real issues facing harley specials. It uses a single beam frame and has an all new transmission to get the wheelbase more realistic. The design brief was the biggest engine in the smallest possible frame! CND dont have a web site yet but the owner is a good friend of mine, so if you want more info email me on zed_thou@hotmail.com

cheers

hey,
the name of the shop that starts with a B is Bourget's Bike Works in Phoenix AZ. I don't know if he still sells frames individually or not since he has went all "big business". i don't know where your located but i am also in the phoenix area and i work at a shop called AMP customs. we are a federally licensed manufacturer of custom v-twin motorcycles and we can have frames made to almost any specs with any material.

That Bourget bike was the most technically advanced that I've seen of all those snag-grinder bikebuilder TV shows.

But here is a stock model "XV1900 Roadliner S" with your requirements:
Code:
[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.tokyo-motorshow.com/show/2005/english/public/list_exhibits/list/30_030_Yamaha.shtml[/URL]

But for just the frame, if Bourget winks out, here is:
Code:
[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.bikernet.com/products/viewsingle.asp?ID=145[/URL]
Tell us how you make out.

Funny how folks start arguing about one "lightweight frame" being better than another when you're putting a boat anchor of a motor in it. I have nothing against Buells or any Harleys, I'm just saying if you're putting a harley motor in a lightweight frame, then you're trying to get "performance" the hard way.

It is kind of a contradiction.

Another contradiction is assuming that aluminum frames are necessarily lighter. They were originally introduced to provide more rigidity in difficlult-to-triangulate situatinos, not to make things lighter.

The motocross bikes actually gained weight until they got it all sorted out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back