Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lightning Downconductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iou

Electrical
Aug 12, 2002
AU
I am doing a project on lightning protection system, and was told to analyse lightning conductor structure in a circuit form, so that I can simulate it.
Is there any informations and website that can help me out?
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No idea. Just make sure you thoroughly model the high frequencies. I understand that a bend in the conductor of radius 8" or less is enough to increase the high-frequency impedance enough to make the lighting prefer to jump out of the conductor. Which means 1) you don't want to use the zero-impedance conductor model, 2) you need to know the exact physical configuration of the installation, and 3) you're less concerned with info on lightning protection than you are with basic electric or physics. You'll also need to assume a waveform for the lightning stroke, which can be tricky since this is a semi-random event; that's the one place where it'd make sense to consult some lightning-protection references and utilize "standard" waveforms.

This is not a straightforward simulation, as mentioned above. You need transient modeling using the transmission line parameters of the conductors. Not all of the energy will stay in the conductors.

This is pretty specialized analysis.

there is a book i have seen at work
title " the aerospace engineers handbook of lightning protection" by bruce gabrielson
this details protection of rockets with models to show how the effects of lightninig act upon them
it may be of help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back