Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lightning Earth Conductor/Electrode(Rod)

Status
Not open for further replies.

masalah

Electrical
May 10, 2010
QA
A query came from the contractor making the shop drawing that he can't find neither the diameter nor the height of the (earth terminal) on the design drawings (established by another company; not ours).

I didn't get what he exactly mean by "earth terminal"?? I know only the "Earth Temination Network", I don't know if he meant "earth electrode/rod" or "earth conductor"??

I think that he meant the electrode, because actually the lightning details drawing shows a text beside the earth conductor: "2400*16mm dia".
Nothing is shown as (earth terminal) !!

I searched in BS EN 62305 and furse manual of lightning and concluded the following answer to his query: "Minimum length of horizontal/vertical earth electrode is to be determined from BS EN 62305-3 to acheive an overall earth termination resistance of 10 ohms or less".

What are your opinions? and what is meant by (earth terminal)?

Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I wonder if he meant "Air Terminal"?
However, from Wiki: Lightning Rod,-
Wiki said:
The parts of a lightning protection system are air terminals (lightning rods or strike termination devices), bonding conductors, ground terminals (ground or "earthing" rods, plates, or mesh), and all of the connectors and supports to complete the system.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

No, there is another query about the air terminal in the same letter...

But your attachment of Wiki mentioned: "ground terminals" may be he means earth electrode >>> I think !

Then he must be meaning the grounding electrode. (Ground rod or grid.)

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Why not pick up the telephone and ask him directly, rather than resorting to an internet forum? If there is a breakdown in communication it won't be resolved by throwing it open for everyone to hypothesise about what is meant by the query.

Regards
Marmite

As my experience in site works is not great, so I'm afraid to ask a question and appear silly in front of the contractor! May be the terminology differs from country to country, may be the market language is different than the exact technical language, may be I miss the information and need to revise it...etc.

Thank you all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back