Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lime Softening Calc Software? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeltaCascade

Chemical
Sep 27, 2001
CA
Hello:

Would anyone be able to recommend a source for hot lime softener modeling software to help calculate lime, soda ash and MgO feed rates for treatment of a given water? Perhaps just an Excel spreadsheet program to share and perhaps build upon.
Many thanks.//

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I made such a spread sheet years ago on Lotus 123. It was based on use of a series of deep wells with varying water composition. Since the well operation was changed only infrequently, the spread sheet worked fine. It included use of MgO for silica removal along with hydrated lime. The natural alkalinity was such that soda ash was not required at this location. I based the chemical feeds on water flow to the HLS, the particular wells in operation and the desired 2P-M. Chemical concentration in the feed tanks had to be constant, ie #/" of solution made.

Operation of a HLS can be a nightmare in addition to the maintenance. I devised a plan to take this single unit out of service for cleaning every 6 months. Cleaning time was scheduled for approximately 24 hours. Basically it was a wash down to remove accumulated sludge in all compartments and sight glasses. It is also necessary to limit flow swings to no more than 50 gpm per hour to prevent serious upsets. Perhaps I'm preaching to the choir here.

I'll search my computer discs and will let you know if I found the spread sheet. Give me a few days and I'll get back to you.

Delta;

Found what I looked for, very surprising! It's just a simple spread sheet showing # of hydrated lime and Magox to be used with a varying alkalinty and Mg content of the raw water. You just type in the numbers and the spread sheet calculates the chemical requirements. I also included chemical costs to make comparisons but the chemical price figures will need adjusted as they are very old. I also found another spread sheet that will calculate the GPM of lime feed, for different lime slurry concentrations, based on water flow to the HLS and the alkalinity and Mg hardness of the raw water.

Hello Oldcorreng,

I was wondering if I could possibly have a gander at that spreadsheet. I'm new to hot lime softening as my past has been in biological treatment and I could use any help you could provide.

Thanks,

NWG

It turns out that AWWA (American Water Works Association) also has some software available for members, including lime - soda softening material balances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back