Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Limestone Stabilization Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rookie04

Geotechnical
Apr 19, 2006
I recently moved to a new area where lime stabilized sites are very common this time of year. This practice is VERY new to me. I have attended a conference on the practice, and have a general understanding of the procedure, but have yet to witness it firsthand. However, I do have a couple of questions for any of you that are experienced with this:

After a lift is "limed", how long should you wait before compacting that lift?

When can another lift be placed?

Thank you for any input.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is wet or dry lime used in your area?

My experience is with dry lime. In that case compaction should begin imeadiately and the next lift can be placed within an hour or so.

As a technician I have seen lime used in soil that was compacted and tested.The soil passed its testing req. and now has a parking garage and a few structures on it w/o problems.

thread158-94844
try this post for more information

I am a student but work with a construction company that stabilizes alot of lime. After seeing the process 100 times i can tell you that with dry lime compaction can begin immediately after stabilization and unless a test is required on each lift of the building pad there is no reason to stop steady work.

I have stabilized 2 sites in the past year and both of those required a 24 hour period for the lime to chemicaly react with the native soil. These were both done using lime slurry. Most recently on another site we used the option of additional structural fill vs. lime stabilizing, because of a requirement to allow 3 days for chemical reaction. As for waiting to place another lift, I dont think I have ever seen an opition to use multiple lifts of lime stabilized material. I would be less expensive in almost every case to lime stabilize subgrade (existing material), and follow with lifts of structural fill, rather than more lime stabilized material. For that matter a majority of the time opting for additional fill to lower the PVR, costs less than lime any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back