Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

limited slip diffs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnrg

Mechanical
Mar 17, 2003
US
Hello all,
Can some one point me to a source of information that explains how various limited slip differentials work?
Thanks,
Bob

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do your homework and try a google (or similar)search on limited slip diff.

Also search performance rear axle manufacturers and distributors sites.

Also try searches on words like positraction, Detroit locker, thorson (or thorensen?), Mclaren cars (it might give the spelling of thorensen)

Regards
pat pprimmer@acay.com.au
eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Thanks Greg

I was going from old memories, and I never could spell

Regards
pat pprimmer@acay.com.au
eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Torsen is a design that in theory works well as it distributes power to the axle shaft that has the greatest resistance, it has not a proven record of reliablity. The design that has done well over a period of time is the ARB air locker, which is an open differential or when air pressure is applied is a spool. The OX locker is very similar other then it uses a cable to engage total lockup. The Detriot locker has proven to be strong and it will lockup, the downside is it is not on demand and will lock whenever you apply pressure either through throttle opening or deceleration, it only is an open when you have no "load" against the driveshaft. There are many variants to the lockers lited above. The most widely used differentials other then open are limited slip, clutch type OEM units.

You can put "limited slip differential" into the search fields at the patent sites and come up with lists of patents to see how different LSDs work.

Here is just one example.

I tend to use the European
as it shows patents from around the world and PDF pages can be saved and printed.

But if you feel confident in your ability to find and install free versions of java plug-ins etc to display pictures, or are happy with text only, and only want the US patents, try this site:-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back