Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Limiting skin friction and limiting bearing capacity for piles

Status
Not open for further replies.

KkEngineer

Structural
Nov 21, 2010
AE
Dear all,

I am checking pile capacities using Eurocode and I understand EC does not provide a calculation method for pile bearing capacity like the API.

I would like to know what limiting skin friction and limiting bearing capacity can I use? I would like a reference that provides limiting values for different soils.

Regards
Kk

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Eurocode does not give formulas. You can choose by yourself. Just go to any foundation engineering books like Das. You can find some equations according to your soil type.

I guess that your question is related for piles installed to rock. For end bearing piles, you need to check also that the structural capacity of the pile is not exceeded since normally the geotechnical capacity is larger than the structural capacity.

Check out Tomlinson's piling or foundation book. He gives, if my memory serves me correctly, a good discussion on what you might be looking for. Okiryu is correct on piles to rock.

KKEngineer,

If my memory working perfectly,as per LRFD end bearing pressure should limit within 3 Mpa and Skin Friction to 0.2 Mpa (ie.e for Drilled Shaft).

Though Tomlinson, limits end bearing to somewhere around 15 Mpa.

and Bowles Book, recommends about 4 Mpa on hard strata and about 1.6 Mpa to medium dense.

With end bearing on rock, I would think that the skin friction would not develop due to the variation in stiffness.

Dik

I guess that if piles are end bearing on sound rock, friction resistance contribution along the shaft will not be activated (may not be considered) since settlements are very minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back