Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Line Charging Susceptance 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacklabs

Mechanical
Mar 17, 2005
US
I have to come up with a bunch of data for the System Operator. We've managed to pull most of the data together except for the "Line Charging Susceptance" of an underground cable. I'm not an Electrical Engineer so any help on how I can come up with this will be greatly appreciated. I've checked all existing documents on site to no avail.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The SO is just being a PITA - as usual.

They are(basically)looking for the charging capacitance.

If you know what complex impedance is ( Z = R + jX), then the "Admittance" is the inverse of this. The "Susceptance" is the imaginary portion of the "Admittance". They are looking for the "shunt" admittance of the line, as opposed to the series impedance you've probably already figured out. The admittance is a complex number - the real part is conductance and the imaginary part is susceptance. The shunt conductance of an overhead line is negligible, so that leaves the susceptance, which reduces to the inverse of the capacitive reactance.

For short overhead lines, this value is not of major concern. For long underground lines and very long transmission lines, it is of more interest.

Not sure how you came up with the other data, but a book like Stevenson's Elements of Power System Analysis, or similar text should help you out.

Cheers,

Dave

Capacitance is:

C = E*10^-9/(18*ln(Di/dc)) in farad/m

Where E is the relative permeability (3 for EPR, 2.5 for XLPE)
Di is the external diameter of the insulation excluding the screen
dc is the diamter of the conductor including screen

Susceptance = 2*pi*f*C

thanks for posting this interesting question.. I have another question in relation to this. If the transmission line is equipped with a series capacitor compensation, how the line charging capacitance will likely be affected? How the magnitude of the charging and discharge current are likely going to be? Will they increase or decrease?

Your answers are greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back