Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Line Protection Relays for HV and EHV

Status
Not open for further replies.

bahamaman

Electrical
Sep 6, 2002
US
My client is considering the ABB 670-series relays for line differential protection for the first time on their system. Can anyone offer feedback on how this relay has performed for them on HV or EHV lines (installation issues, trip security, general reliabiility)?

bahamaman

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is one way of getting it from ABB itself. Ask for "reference list" for the 670 series relay of your interest complete with authentic "customer feedback" from utilities already using them. There are some relays supplied to the 400kV and 132kV networks in UAE for utilities such as FEWA, ADWEA/Transco, etc for example. You may get in touch with the authorities for a 'utility' level feedback instead of getting feedbacks on 'individual' level. I hope you already have a clause by clause compliance with all applicable specifications of your company from ABB. Personally speaking, nevertheless, 670 series relay are performing satisfactorily in the networks known to me[neutral]

In the UK National Grid have used the REC670 in a type-tested bay solution. There have been a few glitches, for example the REC670 wouldn't reboot and establish itself onto the LON bus unless the LON connection was unplugged: it had to rebooted off the bus and the connection plugged in physically after the reboot. I think this has been resolved. Ask ABB!

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back