Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Line Reactors in Series/Parallel - Simple? Crazy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

123MB

Electrical
Apr 25, 2008
AU
Hi All,

I need to source a 600A 5% line reactor for notching and harmonic mitigation of a 400V 550A three phase AC controller.

I am in Australia, and availability of such things is very difficult. 5% line reactors are not stocked at all, and 3% reactors are stocked but only in sizes below, say, 400V 300A. Anything else we generally ship them from the US at a 12 week lead time which our project can't tolerate.

Smaller reactors are available here in Australia and I was thinking maybe it's practicable to combine several smaller reactors to satisfy our requirements

We would need 4-off total reactors, 2 in series, and then each group of 2 in parallel. Each reactor would be 320A 3% (0.075mH approx).

Is this totally crazy? Or is it simple, bread and butter? Obviously it seems simple when you do a calculation of parallel and series inductances, but I have never seen such a thing done practically.

Or are there even advantages to such an arrangement?

Or does anyone have an MTE RL-50013 lying around that I can buy off them! :)

Appreciate anyone's thoughts.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In series to increase inductance.
And in parallel to split current... but, will be hard to get same (close) currents.
At such current values, resistance of reactors/cable/connections need to be below 1mOhm for each branch to limit power losses/heating.

Thanks mate

Yeah I think we could do that. We’d use 240mm2 cable lugged in parallel… for all intents it could be close to identical. Ie the cable arrangement - see the attached sketch (excuse the dodge detail, did it on my phone). 
IMG_7317_kgye0d.jpg

iop95- Why does it need such good matching of conductor impedance? This is a somewhat different case that ensuring sort runs of parallel cables having nearly identical impedances.

Typically sibling transformers placed in parallel can have a difference of impedances of up to 7.5%. I assume the mismatch in inductor impedance would dominate over differences in cable impedance. The inductor amp ratings should be sized based on the largest allowed impedance variation per the IEEE/IEC specs for inductors. If the allowed tolerance for inductors is the same as for transformers, that would mean two 320A inductors in parallel are not quite enough for a total of 600 A capacity. Relying on as-tested impedance values would leave a trap for future replacement.

bacon4life

Need good matching of resistance cable/connections to keep a good current sharing (presume all 4 inductors are pretty identical,with close enough impedance variations with temperature/current).
Even if the sharing of the currents will not be quite equal, it can still be a temporary solution, especially if the VFD will not work at maximum load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back